40 hp 4 cyl 2 stroke 1995 Mercury NO SPARK, FRIED VOLTAGE REGULATOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Engine in regular use; owner hops in boat, battery flat; charges battery, engine won't start; voltage regulator fried (burned and stuff oozing out) engine spins over fine but no spark at any of its four cylinders.

So the VR is obviously fried. And the engine has no spark. The only link I see between the two observations is the keyed switch in the remote control that might have failed such that the ignition remained on and such that the black and yellow 'kill' wire is getting a ground.

I'm taking my multimeter to the boat this AM to see whether the 'kill wire" is getting grounded somewhere.

I'm very skeptical that an 'on' ignition switch would fry the voltage regulator. (anyone agree?) A failed rectifier might. Is the rectifier a separate item on the engine described above, or is it integral with the VR?

Lastly, after examination of the wiring diagram, I'm at a loss to see any other link between the spark and the VR. Anyone else see one?

I'm very reluctant to replace the VR without knowing what made it fail. Any comments welcome.

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 40 hp 4 cyl 2 stroke 1995 Mercury NO SPARK, FRIED VOLTAGE REGULATOR

Engine in regular use; owner hops in boat, battery flat; charges battery, engine won't start; voltage regulator fried (burned and stuff oozing out) engine spins over fine but no spark at any of its four cylinders.

Hmmmm. 65 views and no comments. I'd better refine my question or change deodorant.

I have eliminated from my list of suspects the ignition switch and the kill (lanyard) switch. Both show correct make and break with ground on the black and yellow wire, depending on switch position.

I'm beginning to look with suspicion on the powerpack itself, for which I don't have a schematic -- but might have to get.

The power pack has a solid red wire that I'm guessing is its power supply. I have run 12VDC directly to that terminal, but still no spark.

Comments?

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's one y'all can handle: what kind of oil should I use?

adffemt

Recruit

I have the same problem, Crank no spark, Mechanic looked at motor, voltage regulator oozing black gooey stuff, mechanic said voltage regulator bad, causing no spark. '95 mercury 40 horse 4 cyl. 2 stroke on a bass tracker

Last edited:

Dan102061

Cadet
This same thing happened to us today (and we are up in ME fishing). 95 Tracker 40 - 4 cyl. Looks like some other wires are melted too.

willp

Cadet

Hmmmm. 65 views and no comments. I'd better refine my question or change deodorant.

I have eliminated from my list of suspects the ignition switch and the kill (lanyard) switch. Both show correct make and break with ground on the black and yellow wire, depending on switch position.

I'm beginning to look with suspicion on the powerpack itself, for which I don't have a schematic -- but might have to get.

The power pack has a solid red wire that I'm guessing is its power supply. I have run 12VDC directly to that terminal, but still no spark.

Comments?

Have you solved this problem. I'm experiencing the same situation. Any help is appreciated?
willp

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Have you solved this problem. I'm experiencing the same situation. Any help is appreciated?
willp

Old, inactive thread - Read the Help Tip on top of the page and start a new thread. Thanks.

tjbass1

Recruit
Ignition switch has resistance in the on position . Replaced , still the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.