Mercury 125 hp lower end

Davglidden

Recruit
I have a 1999 125 ELPO mercury outboard and want to change my water pump. I wanted to do the work myself, I am not an outboard mechanic but normally mechanical enough but can not get the lower end off. I've watched every u-tube video I can find but need help. There are 5 nuts that I can find to remove and have. I have seen it needs to be in neutral, forward, reverse, sometimes takes a little persuasion, tried that but didn't want to screw it up, any advise would be appreciated

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury 125 hp lower end

Do you have any separation between the housing and the lower unit?

If you have the two nuts on either side and the one at the rear undone, it should be ready to drop. Unless there is corrosion between the male splines at the top of the driveshaft and the female splines in the crankshaft.

What is the s/n of your engine?

Gerry

Davglidden

Recruit

Do you have any separation between the housing and the lower unit?

If you have the two nuts on either side and the one at the rear undone, it should be ready to drop. Unless there is corrosion between the male splines at the top of the driveshaft and the female splines in the crankshaft.

What is the s/n of your engine?

Gerry

There is a very tiny but of separation in the back I have a scraping tool that is stainless and very stiff that I was able to push into the back thinking I might working it around the sides and it might pop it but that hasn't worked. The sn nearly possible to read but looks like 0G023858

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - ( 50 H.P. (1994 ))
Serial No: 0G023858 Model No: 1050312PD

Parts and Service Bulletin list for s/n 0G023858:

Search Results - Crowley Marine

The service manual you require is P/N 90-817643R1. If you do not have this one, see my message to you in Notifications at the top of this page.

Just to double check, when you removed the trim tab, did you remove the nut that is buried up in the trim tab recess?

Gerry