Mercury 1150 short shaft and prop questions

rcvowell

Recruit
Hello,

I have recently obtained an old Mercury 1150 inline six to run on the 1964 or so duckbill tunnel hull race boat that I grew up with as a kid. At the time my father only had a 50hp tiller motor on it, but it was rated for the 100hp tower of power. I am going to restore it and run the 115hp tower of power that I have found on it in order to let it have some glory days after restoration of the hull.

The trick is that this boat has a 15" transom, and I have no desire to run a jack plate or modify the hull, rather I want to run it as designed with the short shaft version of the engine.

Through eBay I have been locating various parts to start the conversion. One question I have not answered myself yet is about the lower unit. Can I keep the original lower unit off my long shaft engine and just change the shaft itself to the shorter one? I know I need the midsection, shift rod, water tube, and exhaust tube.

Another question I have is that because this is a true tunnel hull, and the boat will only ride on the edges of the sponsons and cavitation plate, do I need to find a gear case with the water pick up in the bullet? Or is the water pickup low enough under the plate to not be an issue. I don't have the motor in my posession yet to study, it will ship from a friend next week.

The last question is about propellers. Where is a good source for propellers for this type of hull/engine combination and what is the largest diameter that will fit on a 1150?

My father mentioned that this hull with the 100hp on it back in the day was able to hit the high 60's to low 70's fairly consistently. I have no intention to race it, but have nothing against blowing the carbon out of the engine on a calm, no wind day at the large lake near our place when the restoration is complete.

Any sources, tips, advice, and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

One more detail, this engine has the shock absorbers on the mount, can the later power trim mount be swapped in place without to much headache? I would like to convert to the power trim to be able to adjust on the fly as needed for wind/water and turning needs.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Mercury 1150 short shaft and prop questions

I really can't contribute any useful info to you without stating things you already know or don't want to add.
I would like to see a couple pics of the boat though. It sounds like it is going to be real fun.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Shortshaft versions of TOPs were fairly rare. You can use a std gearcase, but with a shorter driveshaft and shorter midsection. The watertube can be cut to size, and I would think you could cut and repin the shiftshaft. A newer version of PTT would require a newer transom clamp. I have heard it can work, but never tried it. I would think the original PTT unit would be best.
You might drop by the screamandfly web site. Those guys will tease you a bit about using a TOP, but are the real experts in high-performance Mercs.

rcvowell

Recruit

Thanks for the heads up on screamandfly, I will look them up.

The pictures of the hull I have are with it still sitting on the beach where my father left it some 30 years ago, it needs .. "a little work", but after my Grady White rebuild project, this will be a cake walk!

Pretty much it's a popsicle stick that will end up with 115hp+ on the back end of it.. I don't see how anything could go wrong with this idea!

2011-05-24 18.34.39.jpg2011-05-24 18.34.54(1).jpg2011-05-24 18.35.07(1).jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Flat bottom? I recommend some caution in your first turn. She will slide a whole lot, I will predict. Also, make sure the hull (transom and bottom) is real strong, as that TOP will stress her.

rcvowell

Recruit

She is a tunnel hull, just shallow at the stern. It was originally designed for the 100hp TOP back in 64, at least I am pretty sure that is the year of the hull. But yeah, I am going to reinforce everything I can at the transom to make sure the engine doesn't tear it apart.

mr 88

Commander

Not much of a tunnel going on in that hull,judging from the 3rd picture. I find most of the old guys that raced these with infinite knowledge are on FBook.... inline 6 mercury outboard motor fans is the name of the group, they can help you if you can't get the help you want from S&F...Yes they can machine a new drive shaft for you by taking a 20" and cutting it down. I snapped one recently and thats how I replaced it.No luck finding a 15" shaft anywhere.

rcvowell

Recruit
Thanks for the heads up on the FBook group, I will look them up. I have the engine in my hands now and need to start getting a positive identification on it. The serial number on the mount plate seems to have a very deep, possible "extra number" in front of the series that makes sense. It showed up with a 1350 wrap around cover, and a 1500 top piece.