Please Help! Fuel Problem under load 1986 60hp Mercury

Pholla10

Cadet
So I had my motor running good besides a flooding problem I was having. made about a 25 minute run at around 30mph when suddenly I heard a strange noise from the motor. After hearing the noise, the motor would not go over 2500 rpms without bogging down. Something even more strange is that when my passenger goes towards the front of the boat, the motor gains some rpms. I replaced carburetors and out of the water the motor runs great and I fixed the flooding issue. Now when in the water, the motor pretty much bogs down when I begin to apply throttle. Additionally, I noticed that the skeg had oil leaking from it in the driveway, the oil is coming from propeller housing. I am stumped again, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Please Help! Fuel Problem under load 1986 60hp Mercury

So I had my motor running good besides a flooding problem I was having. made about a 25 minute run at around 30mph when suddenly I heard a strange noise from the motor. After hearing the noise, the motor would not go over 2500 rpms without bogging down. Something even more strange is that when my passenger goes towards the front of the boat, the motor gains some rpms. I replaced carburetors and out of the water the motor runs great and I fixed the flooding issue. Now when in the water, the motor pretty much bogs down when I begin to apply throttle. Additionally, I noticed that the skeg had oil leaking from it in the driveway, the oil is coming from propeller housing. I am stumped again, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Need to fix the oil leak but first run a compression test

racerone

Supreme Mariner

They all run " great " on a hose in the driveway.---They will rev right up running on 2 of 3 cylinders.-Agreed , you start with a compression test here.--Then check to make sure you have spark on all cylinders.----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" yes or no ?-----Take look around motor for any holes in the castings, that maybe should not be there.----Was water pump service done recently ?

Pholla10

Cadet

New coils, plugs, and plug wires were installed about three weeks ago. Spark jumps nearly half an inch. I also serviced the water pump, replaced trigger plate and stator. I tested the compression when I bought the motor a month ago and all three cylinders were within five psi. Is it possible for my compression to crap out that quickly? The motor has been taken care of since I have owned it and I understand that muffs are completely different than on the water, I was just trying to say that the motor sounds better than it did before I replaced the carbs. Thanks for your guys assistance in this matter.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, but you need to check the compression today.-----Anything could have happened.------------Replaced a powerhead years ago for an owner that thought his motor had suddenly exploded.------------After a test run he said " you were right, it never sounded like this in the 4 years I have owned it "-------It had always had a rattle but he did not know that, sounded good to him.

Pholla10

Cadet

Ok, so I checked the compression and it believe it is good. I got 95, 97, and 98. Any other ideas of what it might be? The motor will idle fine in the water, once I go into gear and start to accelerate is when the "starving for fuel" noises happen and it dies.

snype

Recruit

I have a 1992 60HP that would start out fine and then lose power and I described it as going into a limp mode. At one point I heard a weird thump from the motor trying to push it while in this mode. I turned out to be a bad fuel line and bulb introducing air somewhere into the gas. I am not sure if this would apply here though .....

Pholla10

Cadet

Thanks for the input, I think I will try replacing some of the fuel lines. They are kinda old. I will report back.