1969 Mercury developed a miss or "coughing" when running

bheston

Cadet
I have a 1969 Mercury 7.5HP outboard that has only been run a couple times a year for the past few years, it has developed what I call a cough, where the engine will miss and it sounds like a cough, there is actually air that comes out around the fuel pump when this happens. It does this at all throttle positions, about every 5-10 seconds of running. I took the fuel pump apart and everything is clean, I didn't rebuilt it for now but gaskets appear to seal well. I cleaned the fuel screen on top of the side-bowl of the carburetor.

I have a question on the carburetor float, does this type of float get "heavy" and need replaced? It doesn't sit clear on top of the gas in the bowl, it seems to sink it a ways, but I can't tell if it's bad or not, it does float. If it was bad, could this cause the miss or cough that I get when running?

Where should I go next, take the whole carb off and clean/rebuild it including the fuel pump? Any reason to believe this could be electrical instead of fuel?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate everyone's input on this forum!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1969 Mercury developed a miss or "coughing" when running

Open up the low speed mixture screw and see what happens.

bheston

Cadet

Can't believe it was that easy! I opened the low speed mixture screw about 1/4 turn and it's running great now, thanks for the great advice racerone!

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The motor likely needs a new water pump impeller too.----Should be replaced every 2 years or so.

bheston

Cadet

I did put a new impeller in this season, and changed the lower unit oil. Thanks again!