just got a 1980 mercury 80hp thunderbolt ignition and belive i have a bad power pack

mostratos

Cadet
hey guys new to forms i usully read but never post so here goes sorry for bad typing,
i had a old jon boat i traded it for a 1995 stratos 268 bass boat great deal. the boat is clean and no leaks, the seller did tell me that he was smelling fuel while idling. i said no big deal i'll figure it out. lol short story long or long story short i get it home start tinkering with it. have a buddy of mine come check it out and he put his hand infront of the bottom carb and the idle never changed..coverd the top carb it stalled.. so he said lets rebuilb them. .. i pulled them out took them to his place he cleaned the floats and i put them back on.. i fired it up ..not much changed.. so i figure lets look at the ignition i pulled spark plug wire #1 while running and it had very little to no spark... i pulled #2 YIKES (lol got zapped.. was only a matter of time) i pulled #3 and nothing pulled #4 with a insulated plier and there was spark... yes i have done a compression test and all 4 cylinders have 150 psi.. now the funny part is when i swapped coils the dead cylinder being #3 started working.. which leads me to belive i have a bad power pack.. when i compleatly discounnect coil #3 the engine runs much better almost as there is a bad spot in the power pack... i think the power pack works CYL 1 CYL 3
CYL2 CYL4... any help would be awsome
Muhammad
gone fishin:)

mostratos

Cadet
Re: just got a 1980 mercury 80hp thunderbolt ignition and belive i have a bad power p

SORRY forgot to mention motor is a 1980 Mercury 80HP Thunderbolt ignition 4cylinder