How do I change the upper steering/shock mount- 1982 50HP

joezek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Upper and lower mounts are completely shot, but uppers look impossible to change. Am I right for thinking it looks like you need to remove the engine block to have access to the upper steering mount rubber bushing?

joezek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How do I change the upper steering/shock mount- 1982 50HP

serial # 6276686

Well that sucks that I would have to pull the power head, it's never been apart since 1982. I'm afraid to even pull the head off for the head gasket I've been suspecting is going bad. I think for this season I'll just change the lower mounts and shim up the lower spline attach point and call it a day. The lower bolts heads are almost completely rusted off, and are going to be a pain to replace.

The spline shaft that the lower forward mount attaches to, has a C-clip and a washer/shim, and a grease seal. The parts suppliers are all saying that the washer/shims are not available any more. Is there a replacement part I can use? All I want to do is get rid of the massive amount of free-play. It's so bad that I can move the lower end of the engine about 6 inches back/forth (measured at the lowest tip of the lower unit).

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - ( 50 H.P. (1983 ))
Serial No: 06276686 Model No: 1050623

Parts and Service Bulletin list for s/n 06276686:

Search Results - Crowley Marine

By head gasket, I presume that you mean the water jacket cover gasket, seen as item 10 under END CAPS AND EXHAUST COVER

If you are talking about play at item 13 under SWIVEL BRACKET AND REVERSE LOCK, this is common and if you were to take it apart you would find that grease seals, item 2 will be scrap and need to be replaced.

As for the washers and shims, items 12/8:

47606 Washer Swivel PIN Mercury 500 50 HP SN 25168XX | eBay

25176 Washer Swivel PIN TO Bottom Yoke 06 1972 Mercury 402 40HP SN 38628XX | eBay

The retaining ring is available but Iboats won't let us post the competitions sites. Take the P/N and goggle it.

You are also apt to find severe corrosion between the splines of the yoke, item 15 and the swivel pin, item 5. You can inspect the lower mounts by removing the covers but depending on how they look, you might find that power head removal is the least of your problems.

Gerry

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You should not have an issue pulling the powerhead, as the bolts are stainless studs and usually do not corrode. The water jacket covers are a different issue, as the bolts are steel and exposed to water.