Lower Foot Cutout at Full Throttle (84 Mercury 50hp EL 6485882)

Knaroz

Recruit
I have searched for about 2 hours and not found an exact match to what I have occurring so creating a new topic, sorry if this is a repeat.

Just purchased a boat that had the above motor (84 Mercury 50 Hp EL 6485882). Previous owner showed it fired and also advised that the impeller was probably shot as no water was being discharged.

This is my first boat just FYI so be gentle lol.

Got the motor tore apart and took the lower foot off following YouTube videos and a service PDF manual I found. Came apart easily but as I dropped the lower foot the gray insert (want to say it is the reverse lockout cam) fell off, no damage but I think it stuck to the upper spline and once the lower foot was down gravity took over, most of the parts on this 84 appear to be original and everything was a PITA to remove so don't think much work has been done since factory. Put it to the side opened the water pump, impeller had ONE fin left on it, but no wear or damage to the pump housing, replaced impeller and put the unit back together. Now for the record I am 100% sure the motor was in neutral when the lower foot was dropped, one of the guys helping me had been drinking and in the course of us trying to line the spline back up with the lockout it got moved into all 3 positions, but finally slid in.

Put muffs on and started the boat. Fired up fine cranked the gear SLOWLY and barely into each gear (forward neutral reverse) and in all three prop turned. Shut down and awaited the next day. Took it out to the lake jumped in and babied it (about 50% WOT) for the first 10/15 min no problems and impeller worked great. Went to WOT and things were still fine. After about 10 minutes of WOT all of a sudden it was like the prop went to neutral RPM went up and I slid the throttle quickly back to N. Breathed a second and slowly worked the throttle back up. Through 75% everything was fine, as soon as I tried to go higher prop would kick to neutral and idle up. Went back to N and worked through Reverse all the way to WOT and no issues, it is only with forward WOT. Got it back to shore (no thanks to the 35+ MPH winds) got it back on the trailer and home. Dropped the gear oil (which I changed the night before with the impeller) and no metal shavings, no water, oil still pristine so I don't think it is the foot failing. Is it possible the Lockout/Spline is not in alignment?

Again this is my first boat, the guy I was with fishes from boats but has no boat repair experience so was not of much help so figured why not come to the #1 rated place on Google, plus where I got a lot of my info on impeller repair.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower Foot Cutout at Full Throttle (84 Mercury 50hp EL 6485882)

Sounds like an issue with the rubber hub in the prop.---------------Try another prop first !!

Knaroz

Recruit

Thanks for the direction Racerone. Is this doable by a "boat idiot" such as myself or would I need to take to a prop shop? Trying to stay as cheap as possible til I make sure I am on the right track.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You can mark the prop similar to the pic using a marker and take the boat out. If the line isn't lined up after "dropping out of gear", the prop hub is spun which causes the kind of things you're seeing.

Knaroz

Recruit

Thanks both of you for the advice, it went from 80 degrees to 32 degrees and snowing in the past 48 hours so hoping to try this out this weekend lol. If it happens to be the hub because of the age of this engine I am guess I would need to purchase a new prop. Anyone have any suggestions of attempting this as cheap as possible?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You can normally get a prop rehubbed at a prop shop for $75 or so. New props can be had for $100-$125 if you shop around.

Knaroz

Recruit
I know this is a dead old thread but just wanted to jump back in, in case anyone else had this issue and yall were 100% correct. The hub was spun, 100$ (tried to rehub it and the prop shop showed me the entire prop was warped so just bought a new one). Thanks all!!