1987 Mercury 45 hp 'autoblend'

pakndak

Recruit
I have a question on my 1987 Mercury 'Classic Fifty', 45 HP outboard motor. It currently has the 'autoblend', and I am going to remove it and mix the gas. The gas hose runs from the gas tank, to the autoblend, then to the motor (with the bulb in this line). I know I can just remove the autoblend and connect directly to the motor, but what about that small electrical connection that connected into the autoblend and runs into the motor? Can I just leave it, or should I follow it into the motor and remove it? Will I have issues with the alarm located on the ignition? Thanks for any help.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Mercury 45 hp 'autoblend'

It is either an open circuit or a short circuit. I had one on a 115 but never checked to see which was which. Do what you want to do and the connector will be unplugged aka open circuit. If the horn sounds, cut the wires and join them for a short circuit. Simple fix and you have the right idea. 1 pt of oil to 6 gallons of gas for a 50:1 mix.

Mark

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Easy disconnect, just follow wires...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

In retrospect, the horn has 12v on one side and a problem applies a short to ground (batt -) on the other side, completing the circuit and energizing the horn. So, Just disconnecting the electrical plug from the auto blend ought to solve any problem associated with the horn and removing the unit......been a long time. Mine was on a 1989 Ranger I bought new.

Mark

pakndak

Recruit

In retrospect, the horn has 12v on one side and a problem applies a short to ground (batt -) on the other side, completing the circuit and energizing the horn. So, Just disconnecting the electrical plug from the auto blend ought to solve any problem associated with the horn and removing the unit......been a long time. Mine was on a 1989 Ranger I bought new.

Mark

So what kind of 'probems' are detected for the alarm/buzzer to go off? With the autoblend bypassed with the gas line, if I just remove the electrical plug and leave it, does the alarm still go off if the engine is too hot or ????