1978 Mercury 20hp steering pics needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1978 Mercury 200 20hp. I am trying to figure out the steering connections to make it remote. I has the tilt tube and I have a helm and cable. It looks like there was a steering arm on the port side of the motor that was broken off. It is held on by three bolts I think. Does anyone have any pictures of how the end of the steering cable connects to the motor?

Also I have throttle/shift controls that work well with the motor. However forward is reverse and reverse is forward. Whats up with that?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: 1978 Mercury 20hp steering pics needed

Should be some thing like this.

1 front.jpg

carholme

Rear Admiral

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Piece #22 in that diagram is part of the puzzle. Thank you. It is part number 73014A1 and I think it bolts to the bottom of the tiller mount. Now I need to find the rod to connect it to the steering cable. I would greatly appreciate help finding a part number

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And yes. The controls look just like that. The shift lever on the motor also operates in opposite fashion. So is there something that could be switched in the lower unit?

carholme

Rear Admiral

First, disconnect the cables at the engine and manually shift into F/N/R and using finger pressure only, rotate the prop to verify the selected gear:

Forward: Prop will turn CW but not CCW
Neutral: Prop will turn freely in either direction
Reverse: Prop will not turn in either direction

If all is OK and while the cables are still disconnected, move the shifter forward no further than 15 degrees and watch which cable moves first. This will be the shift cable. When the shift cable moves, is it moving outwards or inwards? This is important as you may have the wrong box. Some of those early 20 hp engines had a different box.

Let us know how what you find.

Gerry

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As far as the controls go...

The shift lever on the motor operates as it should. The controls seem to be shifting the motor opposite of what you would expect. So I must have and earlier control box. I have read that the shift shaft in the lower unit could be rotated 180 degrees to correct this. Any input on that?

Still trying to figure out the steering connections...

Does part 73014A1 connect to the two threaded holes on the tiller mount?
And I still cannot find out which rod I will need to connect the bracket to the steering cable. I am searching with no luck.

Thanks for all your help, I really do appreciate it.

Al

carholme

Rear Admiral

What part are you referring to as the tiller mount? To make this a lot easier you should use the parts manual I sent you and make reference to that. If you mean the swivel bracket, then yes re 73014A1.

I still cannot figure out what type of steering you have coming from the steering wheel to the engine. Is it a cable and pulley system or a single push/pull type of cable connected to a rack and pinion at the steering wheel?

Gerry

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have two different boats that I will use this motor on. One has the cable pulley system and the other has teleflex single cable system.

For the cable pulley system it looks like I need this....34746A2

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m5u1tst19bR5QmdQkTmWW9Q.jpg

For the Teleflex single cable system it looks like I need the part you referred to above.

Thanks

Lambier

Recruit
Hey I know I’m late to the party. I have a 1975 mercury 200 20hp. I’m going through the same process of hooking up steering. Did you need any additional parts or just that bracket?

also the throttle controls are backwards unless you get the right control box.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hey I know I’m late to the party. I have a 1975 mercury 200 20hp. I’m going through the same process of hooking up steering. Did you need any additional parts or just that bracket?

also the throttle controls are backwards unless you get the right control box.

Please read our forum guidelines, especially #12. Start a thread of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.