88 mercury 115 idle stabilizer

madmikemerc115

Recruit
I have an 88 merc 115 that has burned up the #3 piston twice now. I have brand new switches boxes and my mechanic tested the stator, trigger, ect. and they're all good. When time'n it he said the idle stabilizer was advancing it at high rpm's so he told me to just leave the white and black wire disconnected. With that wire disconnected it boggs out and wont plain the boat unless I trim it up enough to get the rpm's up then ease it down, with it hooked up it runs like the wind. is there a proper way to remove the idle stabilizer or should I replace it?(many forums mention it like its not important) Also, the motor has never idled below 1000rpm since I've owned it.

madmikemerc115

Recruit
Re: 88 mercury 115 idle stabilizer

I guess what I'm asking is, once I remove the idle stabilizer does it need to be timed again or do I just disconnect all three wires and that's that? 40+ people have read my post and still no ideas?

Mi duckdown

Commander

Mad115 sometimes people don't know the correct answer and don't post. like Myself. why would I pass on bad info to destroy a motor. ???? PEOPLE are learning Just like You. Also this NOT A chat forum it takes time.

Last edited:

madmikemerc115

Recruit

Cool! I'm pull'n it off now. Thanks for the help guys and next time I'll try to be more patient.