1976 Mercury 7.5hp model 75 starting issues, I'm so confused! help!

BKMcGill

Recruit
Okay, I checked compression avg. #1 cyl=135, #2 cyl=140. good spark on both cylinders, gas was coming out the front inlet of the carb. so I removed the carb to clean it.
Now I re-installed the carb, tried to crank it and I have no spark, compression is still the same, and I still have gas coming out of the front inlet of the carb.
I have checked the stop switch and it is working fine. What could have happened, I'm so cunfused now. :confused:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 Mercury 7.5hp model 75 starting issues, I'm so confused! help!

I guess you have to take the carburetor off again for inspection.------Did you pinch any wires ?------Is insulation on wires intact or crumbling off.

BKMcGill

Recruit

I checked all the wires, nothing pinched that I can see. Took carb back off and double checked the float and pin seating. Reinstalled, and still nothing. Surely the switch box wouldn't go out that fast, would it? How could I check it?

tpenfield

Staff member

FWIW - I have a 1969 Merc 7.5 and the wiring was disintegrating inside the harness that runs to the Kill Button, causing it to loose spark intermittently. At first glance the wiring looked fine, but then I noticed the insulation was cracking, etc. and the wires were starting to fray.

so, maybe have a closer look at the wiring harness . . . I think it is only about 3-4 wires sleeved together.

BKMcGill

Recruit

I disconnected the orange wire on the stop switch just to see, and I still have no spark.:grumpy: