1967 Mercury 650 Carb linkage

heyblue

Seaman Apprentice
Have 1967 650 Mercury. Just got running went out to water. Only get about 8 MPH at WOT. Noticed that the linkage needs some adjustment to get the dist. to rotate to WOT stop, BUT notice that the plate that moves the carbs only open them about 1/2 way. There is play before the plate contacts the carb linkage. That is as the throttle is advanced the dist. moves some amount before starting to contact carb linkage. Looks like I can adjust that plate, but not sure if I should. Someone put a red mark indicating where it is now? Any pics would help Thanks

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: 1967 Mercury 650 Carb linkage

Pics of YOUR MOTOR would help. PLUS serial number. what are compression numbers

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Do not start making adjustments based on how it looks to you.----------You must follow a factory guide / manual.

heyblue

Seaman Apprentice

Compression is about 130 on all 4. I can send pic but of what part?

heyblue

Seaman Apprentice

I Looked at the link you posted. The very first step tells me to pull throttle to full and check that carbs are wide open. That is my problem they are not. The dist hits it stop well before the carbs are full open, in fact they only open about 1/2. I do note that the dist starts to move for a small amount before the bracket on the other side contacts the carb linkage. Thanks

heyblue

Seaman Apprentice

I am going to answer my own question, since If anyone has this problem this might help. What I discovered is after the linkage moves the dist. to the "max advance" it should then start moving the upper assemble which will continue to advance the carbs to WOT. My problem was two fold. First, since the boat sat for who knows, the upper assemble was VERY hard to move, because of that I though I mounted the throttle/shifter to allow WOT. Turns out the handle was hitting the mounting hardware. I lubed the upper portion to free it up, then cut out the wood mounting to allow the handle to go forward to the end.