150XL 4S 1150F23HD Does it have a water filter for fuel?

SMEYLINK

Cadet
Merc part number 8M0059528 REMOTE WATER IN FUEL FILTER KIT I did find as a part listed for this engine (I get delivery of my boat in 1 month). Trying to verify if indeed it does have a water separator or filter to not allow water to pass or not. So far I have 50% both ways with Merc and dealer wasn't really sure.

Is this kit a add on kit or part of the engine. I think I read in the owners manual they don't recommend a filter leading to the engine so that lead me to find out if it is protected in the unlikely even I have water in the fuel (Haven't on any boat yet but always a first).

Thanks for any clarification and if you know what this kit looks like or a pic that would be grand.

Thanks,

Steve-o

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 150XL 4S 1150F23HD Does it have a water filter for fuel?

Steve-o, The Merc Optimax's have water separators and a water alarm built into them. It makes sense for the new 4 cycle motors to have it as well. More maintenance $$ for the dealers, as they are merc-specific.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Just looked at that part number. It is nearly $300, and no picture. It must be some sort of accessory.

SMEYLINK

Cadet

Ya I love parts w/o pics.... The motor has 2 filters but we only located the one on the low pressure side which appears to be just a standard fuel filter. We assumed the other filter was behind the lower panel so I figured I could look up the part number and as you noticed plenty of $ and no pic. Easy for me to install a aftermarket one but 3 filters for a motor does seem overkill. Anyone else know if the standalone motor has Water sep or ? When I talked to Merc about the Mercmonitor he alluded to this motor having a water in gas warning, but then pulled back and stated he wasn't sure this motor supported this. I also noticed you have to purchase several sensors separately if you want to monitor on the mercmonitor so this "kit" makes it sound like something beyond the basic motor. Well enough of my lack of knowing.. Anyone know?