A little advice- water pump 1982 50HP

joezek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just changed the water pump in my 82 50 hp (4 cylinder). The parts diagram shows more parts than are actually in the kit. I'm mainly concerned about the connection point between the output port on the pump, to the pipe that pumps into the engine. The parts diagram shows a nylon seal and a rubber seal, in between the pump and the pipe leading to the engine. However the kit doesn't have anything that fits in that position.

So my question is whether the new kits are different than the parts catalog due to design changes etc. It does pump plenty of water out the **** tube, but it's also leaking water from the area where the lower unit is bolted to the engine. It's also got plenty of water pumping out of the two plastic screens/vents at the trailing edge of the lower unit- above the propeller.

I'm wondering if there's supposed to be a perfect seal where the metal pipe plugs into the water pump, or if it's designed to spray a certain amount of water into that whole section of the lower unit.

Anyone who knows what I'm talking about, please help. I have plans this weekend with the boat for my birthday.

THANKS!!

JOE

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: A little advice- water pump 1982 50HP

Everything sounds normal.----Just go boating.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Everything sounds normal.----Just go boating.

^1 on Racerone
A lot of water pump kits are made to fit more than just one motor, and this is why they might have extra parts or not have the exact same looking parts that do the same job. Water flowing from all the ports and the drain hole of the midsection are normal. those ports and the midsection hole let water drain from the midsection when the motor is placed on the trailer and help prevent damage from water freezing in the motor when in cold temps. JMO
Oldman570

joezek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ran the boat a few times this weekend. Had two successful voyages to the sandbar, business as usual. It's pumping a ton of water, outlet temp a lot cooler too. I drained the lower oil and it's got some water again which was the reason for changing it the first time. I'm not confident that I got all the water out of it last time. I wish there was something I could fill the case with and then drain it to dry it out. I had flushed a lot of high synthetic motor oils through it last week while it was taken apart. I'll do that some more this week. Last time it was leaking gear oil from in between the water pump and lower unit mounting gasket. I'll see if the gear oil quits leaking.

I was considering running the engine with no oil in the lower unit, and plugs out- to see if water begins dripping out of the lower unit drain plug. That should tell me pretty quickly if the water pump seals are not staying sealed right.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not a good idea. Even in neutral a lot of parts are spinning and with no oil, well, you might get away with it. Better to pressure test the lower unit and pinpoint which seals are worn. BTW - Are you using new vent/drain screw washers?