1982 Mercury 50hp gifted to me

Jeremy23

Cadet
This boat was gifted to me. It hasn't been ran since 2006. I changed the spark plugs and fuel bulb and it started right up. (With muffs on of course). There isnt but a trickle of water coming out of the pee hole. I can blow air through it so I know there isnt a blockage. Im assuming I need to change the impeller and will. My question is should I also change the water pump? I would normally just change it but my marina wants $100 for the kit or $35 just for impeller and gaskets. Ive looked on line and not even sure of what part number I would need. The motors serial number is 6150632. Thanks!

Jeremy23

Cadet
Re: 1982 Mercury 50hp gifted to me

The water pump kit will be in tomorrow. Any special tools ill need?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The water pump kit will be in tomorrow. Any special tools ill need?

A 3/8" allen wrench to remove the anode/fin is about the only "special" tool. Not really special but not all tool boxes have a large size like that. Fairly easy job, Jeremy.

Jeremy23

Cadet

Thanks boater! I replaced all gaskets and water pump. I was able to put it all back and get it running well with good water glow coming out of tell tale. Now it wont go into gear. Did I put it back wrong?

GA_Boater

Thanks boater! I replaced all gaskets and water pump. I was able to put it all back and get it running well with good water glow coming out of tell tale. Now it wont go into gear. Did I put it back wrong?

The shift shaft shifted some or the remote was moved. Or a combination of both.

Drop the lower again and put the remote into forward. I'm assuming you have a remote, if it's a tiller, you still put it into FWD. On the lower use a pair of pliers to rotate the short shift shaft in gently and slowly either direction, you will feel detents. Rotate the shaft until you can shift into F-N-R using the pliers. The shaft doesn't need to turned very much, maybe 45?-90? max or so. Put it into FWD and install the lower unit.

That should do it for you , Jeremy. Good luck.

Jeremy23

Cadet

Thanks Boater. I tried that earlier and couldn't get the short shift shaft to turn. I feel like the short shift shaft isnt getting inserted into its housing. I can feel the rod from the back of the motor and it wiggles? What could cause the shift shaft to be stuck?

GA_Boater

Sometimes you have to turn the prop or drive shaft to get the shifts dogs lined up as you rotate the shift shaft. Or the upper shift shaft missed the lower shift shaft as they came together.

Jeremy23

Cadet

I feel like the upper and lower shift shaft aren't meeting up. The problem is the lower shift shaft is only about 3 to 4 inches long and the upper doesn't come down far enough to connect before putting lower unit back on. Every time I readjust or pull down the drive shaft to go in correctly the plastic and rubber stoppers at the top of the drive shaft come off and I have to pull it all out again,fish them out of the upper unit and start again. Any idea or cheats on how to assure the shift shafts connect? Thanks again for all the help. Ill certainly pass my experiences on once I figure it all out.

GA_Boater

The last time I did mine I had trouble getting the shafts to mesh. Finally I loosened the clamp holding the upper shaft under the carbs. I got the lower unit started and a couple of bolts loosely holding it up and worked the upper shift shaft until it seated and tightened it all up. That was the only time I ever had to do that on a Merc. But it worked for me.

Jeremy23

Cadet

Thanks again Boater ill give it a try. Sorry Carholme not sure what ptt is. New to this.

Jeremy23

Cadet

Yes Gerry I do. I got it to go once but had to pull it back down to put the bolts on and couldnt get it to go again. I think ill just keep messing with it and get it eventually. When turning the shift shaft is cw forward or ccw?

carholme

Rear Admiral

Looking down on the lower shift shaft, turn the shaft as far as you can CCW with your fingers and then with a rag around the shaft splines use a pair of pliers to continue CCW to the first detent. This will be FWD., then still turning CCW to the next detent which is Neutral and lastly, CCW to Reverse.

You can verify which gear you are in as follows:

Forward: Prop will turn (ratchet) CW but not CCW
Neutral: Prop will turn freely in either direction
Reverse: Prop will not turn in either direction except for the amount of gear mesh.

Gerry

GA_Boater

Gerry gave the exact way to find the gears, I couldn't remember. Thanks, Gerry.

Jeremy23

Cadet

Hey Boater, where would I post that i need part number for ignition. My key is stuck and so is my electric choke. When key is on but not running the choke solenoid burns out. I guess ill need a choke solenoid also.

GA_Boater

Do you have a push to choke key or a separate choke button, Jeremy?

Used on ebay is probably the best place for the choke solenoid. New is about $125. The part # is 54293A11 superseded by 89-889274, either one will work. The ebay listings :MERCURY CHOKE SOLENOID 54293A11 89 889274 | eBay