Mercury 35 EL 1985 problem, HELP!

asics

Recruit
Hi,

I have a Mercury 35 EL 2 stroke engine from 1985. Have trouble getting the gear housing off to replace the impeller. Everything is properly loosened but it opens only a few centimeters. Have tried as everyone else with the same problem using wedges etc.. The only thing that remains to check are the drive shaft so it?s not rusted as it can be on old Mercs. Im going to also loosen the gear shaft but to access it I have to remove the engine block.

I need an exploded diagram or manual that shows exactly how to get the engine block off. Have loosened all the screws I can see but apparently I missed something beacuse it wont come off.

Do someone have a full exploded manual or only a manual for this engine? Have been searching online for a week now with no results :(

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury 35 EL 1985 problem, HELP!

First, what is the engine s/n?

If you are sure that it is a 1985, here is the parts list:

35 H.P. - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

Under GEAR HOUSING (DRIVE SHAFT), lower shift shaft, item 43 connects to the upper shift shaft with a splined connection, see item 19 under SHIFT CONTROL LINKAGE

You do not have to remove the power head.

Here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer manual. Download it soonest to your computer as the link is short lived.

MERCURY - TWO-CYLINDER MODELS.: Small Engine Repair Reference Center Home

You will see all the LU connection points in figure M10-35 on page 234.

Are you operating in salt water?

Gerry

Last edited:

asics

Recruit

The engine has been used in salt water by the previous owner. But after renovation, it will only go in freshwater.

The problem I have is that where the gear shaft enters. There sits a sprint with an Allen wrench. What they have done is they screwed it on the wrong side when they probably had the engine apart once. So the the engine block sits in the way of accessing and unscrew it. Doesn't matter if I change the position on the gearbox I still can't get to it.

Thanks so much for the manuals. Have been searching like crazy for these.

carholme

Rear Admiral

The problem I have is that where the gear shaft enters. There sits a sprint with an Allen wrench. What they have done is they screwed it on the wrong side when they probably had the engine apart once. So the the engine block sits in the way of accessing and unscrew it. Doesn't matter if I change the position on the gearbox I still can't get to it.

?????????????????? What is a sprint?

Do you have the engine s/n?

Gerry

asics

Recruit

Sorry

A Pin. My Swedish English gets mixed up sometimes. A sprint is a pin in swedish. Not easy for you to know :joyous:

The engine S/N is 0A121251. And according to the Mercury website, this shall be a 35 EL 1985

Last edited:

carholme

Rear Admiral

Someone seems to modified the pin if you say that it is a pin with an allen head. That should be a cotter pin. Scroll down to the number 21 and you will see a picture of it.

Gerry

asics

Recruit

The one I have is definitely not that one.

But it confirms my thoughts that Mercury has not been as stupid to place a pin that you have to take apart the entire engine to unscrew. So it's probably from lack of other things that the previous owner put it in there when they had the engine apart. But it complicates an otherwise simple thing to something incredibly time consuming :grumpy:

But atleast I get a chance to replace everything on the way :joyous:

carholme

Rear Admiral

Yes. it is too bad about the pin but that does not interfere with LU removal as the lower and upper shift shafts are splined together and if you have everything disconnected, the LU should drop down. It does sound like the splines at the top of the driveshaft are corroded to the splines in the crankshaft.

Gerry

jslu

Seaman

Yes. it is too bad about the pin but that does not interfere with LU removal as the lower and upper shift shafts are splined together and if you have everything disconnected, the LU should drop down.
It does sound like the splines at the top of the driveshaft are corroded to the splines in the crankshaft.
Gerry

I agree 100% with Gerry from Ontario. I had a similar experience with a 1989 35 Hp Merc which was used in salt water. I bought it as a parts motor because the previous owner could not get the lower unit off to replace the impeller. What worked for me is steel wedges (cold chisels) inserted opposingly into the seperation of the upper and lower units. Each day I hit the chisels with a hammer to increase the pressure on the rusted in drive shaft. After a week of being patient, the two halves finally seperated and the evidence was stong that the male spline on the drive shaft was rusted into the female spline on the cranksahft. Many methods have been discussed on this forum, but this is what worked for me. Hardwood wedges do not work in extreme cases such as this, because they distort as you drive them in.

As it turned out, the rest of the motor was in great shape, with power tilt and trim, and I have been using it on my Starcraft for 3 years.

Good luck, be patient,

John from Maine

Last edited: