mariner 30a shift linkage nut stuck

nahoo7

Seaman Apprentice
I bought this motor fired her up started okay but wouldnt change out of reverse.looked it over and the shift linkage had come apart just above the lower unit.tried to recconect by turning the long nut back on to the lower rod but it wont turn, there is thread inside the long nut so nothing has broken.I am too scared to put too much force on the nut to free it up and cant get vice grips up the tube to hold the rod any ideas appreciated cheers.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: mariner 30a shift linkage nut stuck

What is the s/n of the engine?

Gerry

nahoo7

Seaman Apprentice

689 l 414687.Is it possible to take out the top shift rod without too much trouble then I could loosen the nut and put it back in again.

carholme

Rear Admiral

That s/n comes up as:

30A EL 689-413869 - 689-416198 1985

From here:

Mariner 25-30 hp, produktions?rslista, modellguide

Parts list:

30 HP - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

See upper shift rod as item 20 under GEAR SHIFT LINKAGE. You are trying to turn item 21 connector nut but it is locked by nut 22 and this nut has to be loosened before trying to turn 21. If you have difficulty loosening nut 22, the best may be to drop the LU and then you will have access.

Here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer manual to help you with the gearbox removal. See page 123.

MARINER - MARINER 30 HP.: Small Engine Repair Reference Center Home

Gerry

Last edited:

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

My coupler was stuck, even after loosening the lock nut. Since it was stuck in the "connected" mode I couldn't drop the LU to get at it. I used one of those little butane torches to heat the coupler nut and applied some beeswax so it would run down inside the threaded portion. Took about 10 minutes and it came free.

I now put anti-seize on it when re-assembling.

nahoo7

Seaman Apprentice

The coupling is apart already what I cant do is turn the coupling nut to join them back together.

carholme

Rear Admiral

We understand from your first post that it is undone already. Have you loosened the locknut under the coupler?

Gerry

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

The coupling is apart already what I cant do is turn the coupling nut to join them back together.

What I was suggesting (although not very clearly :) ) was that you drop the LU for better access to the coupling nut, put the shifter into reverse to lower the coupling as far as possible, then use the heat/beeswax to loosen it (or penetrating oil, or ???? ).

I know you can disconnect the upper shift shaft up under the cowl somewhere - but I've never figured out how to get to it.

Last edited:

nahoo7

Seaman Apprentice

Oops! I did drop the lower unit had sprayed with penetrating oil and left for 24 hrs spraying in between, gave it a bit of a turn and the top rod fell out has a pin through the top with a washer and cotter pin.Do I now have to remove power head to reconnect shift rod and to see what is broken? I have the rod a coupling soaking in carb cleaner at the moment cheers.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Do I now have to remove power head to reconnect shift rod and to see what is broken? I have the rod a coupling soaking in carb cleaner at the moment cheers.

I don't think you do - based strictly on second hand observations.

When I had a mechanic put mine back in service, after a 20 year sleep, he replaced the impeller and did some other work, but did not pull the power head. A short while later I had to drop the LU and that coupling nut was totally frozen. So, obviously the mechanic disconnected the upper shift shaft up under the cowl to drop the LU. Since he didn't pull the power head there's got to be a way to do the disconnect.

He did rebuild the starter and carb. Maybe if one (both) of those is pulled you'd have access to that connection?

nahoo7

Seaman Apprentice

I was going to take the carb off first to have a look there, my thought as to the powerhead is that the connection point looks as if it is underneath the front of the cowl and by removing it maybe there is better access to the top of the tube the shaft sits in or maybe there is access behind the swivel bracket.I can find the part numbers but it doesnt show how to get to them.

nahoo7

Seaman Apprentice

Solved I removed the swivel bracket and tube that upper shift rod sits in ,in one piece reconnected shift rod slipped tube and bracket back over it bolted it back together took around 40 min cheers.