1995 mercury 90hp

cozzmo1970

Cadet
the last two times i took my boat out the motor wont turn over it acts like the battery is dead but its not. it barely turns over then stops completely, sometimes it will catch and fire up. i noticed the starter is hot even though it hasn't spun much if at all. i have checked the cables and removed the starter and it spins freely after putting the starter back on it worked fine at home until i put it in the water. i think it may be the solenoid but even jumping it has the same effect (barely turns over) how can i narrow down the culprit. could it be a timing issue?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 mercury 90hp

Take the starter apart for inspection.---easy to do.---When you have it apart ask for further inspection help.

cozzmo1970

Cadet

Take the starter apart for inspection.---easy to do.---When you have it apart ask for further inspection help.

in the past i have taken chevy starters apart and that requires a tool to hold the brushes in place or the springs will pounce out. is there any special procedures for a boat starter?

cozzmo1970

Cadet

ok last night i took the starter apart nothing looks out of place abit of dust came out and all was dry. i cleaned entire starter with carb cleaner. what should i look for?

carholme

Rear Admiral

If you have the service manual, see the starter testing under 2B-19. If you don't have it, see my message to you in Notifications at the top of this page.

Do you have the engine s/n?

Gerry

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Take an ohm reading from the commutator to the shaft.-Should read infinity.

cozzmo1970

Cadet

well my neighbor hasnt come home to loan me his ohm meter, so finished cleaning the starter and used a small wire brush to lightly clean the end where the brushes contact the motor and the brushes. blew off all the parts and put back together and it works fine now. last weekend i removed it and cleaned the wires and it worked also until i needed it at the lake. hopefully the cleaning worked.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

First I take all of my starters apart and run fine sand paper over the part where the brushes make contact to clean up any corrosion. Too hold the brushes in I took a putty knife and cut out a slot for the shaft of the starter...Works perfect in holding the brushes in while you slide the cap back on...