Help w/ Mercury outboard 40hp 2 stroke, dies shortly after starting, or lowering chok

briiguy

Recruit
Hello,

I have a '78 2-stroke Mercury outboard. I had the carb rebuilt (so they said) at the end of last season and was winterized. When I go to start the motor it will turn over, start and if I'm lucky, run for a few/several minutes and then just dies out. While it does run for these few minutes, if I try to close the choke at all, it will die. It will only run full choke. If I try to put it in reverse on full choke, it runs fine, if I keep full choke and try to put in 1st, it will die instantly. It has new fuel with mix ratio. I ran 1 can of carb cleaner in 3gal of gas for about 15 min, but the motor died by itself and I gave up. It also has new spark plugs as of last spring and there is liquid coming from the plugs. I put a whole new petrol tank on.

I was going to take the boat out for the first time this year, tomorrow, but this has made me think otherwise.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Brian

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Help w/ Mercury outboard 40hp 2 stroke, dies shortly after starting, or lowering

You still are having carb problems.

briiguy

Recruit
Re: Help w/ Mercury outboard 40hp 2 stroke, dies shortly after starting, or lowering

You still are having carb problems.

Could it be the fuel line that goes into the carb? Or float?

Thank you for helping narrow it down.