1978? Mercury 20hp starter/recoil help needed

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a mercury 200 20hp outboard that I believe is a 1978. The s/n is 4821964. The motor is electric start but the starter is not turning the motor over completely. I have tried two different batteries with the same results. The starter button also does not work and I suspect that someone did not wire the solenoid correctly, it is not original. So I am jumping the two large terminals on the solenoid to attempt to start the motor with no luck. It turns over but slow.

So I am not getting the voltage I need or maybe the starter is weak. Can anyone help me in how to further diagnose this problem? Also how should the solenoid be wired? It has two large terminals and two small terminals.

I would also like to add pull start to this motor as it does not have the flywheel that you can put a rope on in a fix. What years recoil assembly will work?

Thanks, Al

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1978? Mercury 20hp starter/recoil help needed

That is a 1978 engine:

20 200/20 2-cyl 4819249 5183392 1978 USA

From here:

Mercury 2-takt, 2-cyl, 18-25 hp, produktions?r, modellguide

Parts list:

MERC 20 - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

See Merc 200 wiring here:

Mercury Outboard Wiring diagrams -- Mastertech Marin

I would ensure that the wiring is correct and then take a look at that starter. Sometimes it is just a matter of cleaning out the carbon build-up and a light scuffing of the commutator where the brushes ride.

Gerry

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I checked out the wiring and it all looks in order. I removed and disassembled the starter to find that it was full of moisture and corrosion. I cleaned it to no avail. So I need to replace the starter but I am unsure if I am finding the right one. On ebay all I can find are starters that say they fit 1980 and newer. They do look identical to what I have though. I tried searching for part number 76275. Can someone point me in the right direction?

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I ordered the starter kit I linked to above and a solenoid #853654A1. I will let you all know how that works out.

As far as adding pull start I cannot find a recoil assembly. So I guess I will hold off on that.

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I need the complete rope start system. Or I was thinking of changing the flywheel to one that can be emergency pull started. Just not sure what years will fit.

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I received my starter kit in the mail today. Very fast shipping. I put it together which was very easy. Installed it and the motor turns over much better now.

But it only has spark to one cylinder. Time for further investigation and probably a new thread for a new issue.

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I guess the motor doesn't turn over much better. A little faster, but not near fast enough to start. So apparently the motor spent some time underwater, how much, I don't know. I wasn't the one who let his boat fill up with water. So I am thinking that this motor may be DOA. I have pulled the plugs of course and sprayed the cylinders with penetrating oil. So something else internally must be keeping it from turning over fast enough. Any ideas? Because she is about to become parts.