2005 Mercury 40hp Outboard leaking two-cycle oil thru the exhaust

jrquarles

Recruit
Hi everyone,

I've read thru the questions on the forum and could not find a problem such as this. I was getting my boat ready to go to the lake and was running through my boat making sure it was all working. I let my motor down from my transom saver and noticed some 2 cycle oil dripping from the exhaust. I tried to turn the motor over and the response was like my battery was getting bad. i replaced it with another battery i had and it was still difficult to turn over much like the starter was going bad. After all this, i had a lot of two cycle oil running out the exhaust and another hole on the right lower unit. My oil container is not leaking and i had plenty of oil so it's not just pouring out but it is concerning. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 2005 Mercury 40hp Outboard leaking two-cycle oil thru the exhaust

What is the s/n of your engine?

If you have oil leaking out of the approximately 1/8" hole on the side of the LU, I would drop the LU and check to see if you have oil visible on top of the LU indicating a water pump base seal or shift shaft seal leaking. Verify this first. Don't think this has anything to do with your starter problem.

Have you checked the oil level in the LU?

Gerry

jrquarles

Recruit

The serial # is 1B168021. Built Mar 2005 Model #1043412DD. If I take all that off, I'm gonna replace the oil in the foot and the water pump while it's out. The starter won't disengage back into it's original position and will just barely turn the motor over. All I wanted to do was make sure it would turn over and that the battery was still charged. I turned the key twice and this is what i got. The battery was so hot that it melted the plastic around the positive post on the battery hence the new battery. This may be over my head and I may just take it to someone though I'd really like to dig into and do it myself...its paid for.

carholme

Rear Admiral

When you say that the starter won't disengage back to it's original position, do you mean that the small gear that moves upward to mesh with the flywheel is not dropping back down onto the starter? If that is the case. the shaft often gets dirty if someone has lubricated it with grease or some heavy oil. It should be cleaned and a very few drops of light oil used.

The gear that meshes with the flywheel is item 4 in this link:

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - Starter Motor - 40/50 (3 CYLINDER) 2-STROKE

Your s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - ( 40 H.P. (2005 ))
Serial No: 1B168021 Model No: 1043412DD

Parts List:

40/50 (3 CYLINDER) 2-STROKE - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

The service manual you require is P/N: 90-852572R02.

If you do not have this manual, see my message to you in Notifications at the top of this page.

Gerry

jrquarles

Recruit

Yes..that is correct. I'm not sure of the number of teeth, but it is the gear that connects to the flywheel. As far as i know, it's never been oiled or greased. That may do the trick. When you say light oil, what weight or thickness do you suggest? Something such as WD-40? I do appreciate your help, I'd love to learn to repair this myself.

carholme

Rear Admiral

I responded in the email which was sent.

Gerry

jrquarles

Recruit

Great! I'll give this a go!

Thanks, James