1995 40 hp mercury not getting fuel

smike

Recruit
Hi I have a 1995 40 hp mercury tracker boat has very low hours less than 15 tanks run thru its not getting fuel if I try starting wont start but if I spary carb cleaner in carbs fires right up. I didn't use last year has fresh gas a carbs were rebuilt year before. I'm trying to figure it out on my own for the 2 years before I have taken to shop and every time carbs need rebuilt I'm told and says enthanol in gas for a total of 3 times rebuilding carbs and next year same problem I'm told the gas I buy says enthanol free, any ideas what to try. thanks Still trying to figure post out to respond but anyway I have black fuel lines, motor only starts when spray carb cleaner does not run, I have a see thru fuel filter and it fills about 3/4 of the way but no fuel goes to carbs

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: 1995 40 hp mercury not getting fuel

Do you have the silver fuel hose.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

You can go to Pure-Gas . org and look up stations near you that sells non ethanol fuel. You can get test kits sold for testing fuel for the ethanol is present in the fuel also. Other wise place a piece of clear hose just before the carb and watch the fuel flow for air bubbles indicating a air leak in the fuel supply system. JMO
Oldman570

smike

Recruit

I have black fuel lines, and to clarify a little motor only starts but does not run when I spray the carb cleaner in carbs, and fuel filter is see thru and fuel is about 3/4 way up on it but no fuel going to carbs

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

If all the fuel lines from the fuel tank to the carb are the new ethanol resistant type, then it could be a bad fuel pump diaphragm causing the trouble, or the pickup tube filter in the tank could be getting plugged up, or the tank is not venting as it should. Both are easy fixes, loosen the fuel cap and run, and clean out the tank with some fresh fuel. Rust and slime in the metal tanks can form over time. JMO
Oldman570