1992 mercury 150 black max xr4 power loss

kevo526

Recruit
While I was planing, I all of the sudden lost power and can only go maybe 5 to 10mph. Anyone know what could cause this? I just replaced my stator flywheel, power packs, plugs, fuel lines, inline filter, and water separator. Motor doesn't over heat. I'm suspecting something in the lower unit like the water pump/impellar and hub in propeller or fuel issue such as the carbs. Also maybe poor compression? When I flushed the motor and put it in gear rpm seemed to rise properly. Any one have any ideas what to do?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 mercury 150 black max xr4 power loss

You start with a compression test.-Then check to see if you have good spark on all 6 cylinders.--Oil injection verified to be working properly ??

carholme

Rear Admiral

If it was an all of a sudden power loss an easy check for a spun prop hub is to put a white witness mark across the hub and run it again. Then, check the hub to see if the line is broken or not.

Gerry

kevo526

Recruit

Thanks guys ill check it out today and see if those might be it

kevo526

Recruit

So i ended up taking my boat to a shop and ended up being a bad power pack. I forgot to mention I went the cheap way and bought a used power pack. There wasn't spark on cylinders 1 and 3. They replaced the powerpack with a brand new one and runs like a charm!