Am I screwed? 86 60hp Mercury Flywheel Removal/Timing

Pholla10

Cadet
So I am completely new to outboards and I have been working on this older 60hp for my bass boat. When I removed the flywheel in order to replace stator and trigger, I pulled all of the smaller bolts and the large center bolt. I did not mark exactly how the flywheel lined up, and about 20 minutes later I realized that I may have screwed myself. I have put everything back together and finally got the motor started. How can I tell if my timing is going to be messed up? and If it is messed up, How can I fix it? Thanks in advance
oh and btw, the serial # is A140948 1986 Merc 60hp

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Am I screwed? 86 60hp Mercury Flywheel Removal/Timing

You can often look at the rust / stain marks and put it back together in perfect order.--And you are not the first to make this mistake.

jslu

Seaman

How can I fix it?

Simple!

Ignition off.

Remove all the spark plugs.

Stick a pencil or something like that into the top hole, usually No. 1 piston.

Hold the pencil against the top of the piston and rotate the flywheel by hand.

When the No. 1 piston reaches the top of it's travel (TDC), your timing pointer should point at 0 on the side of the flywheel or wherever your timing marks are located.

If not, remove all bolts and reposition flywheel and try again.

I have a 1987 35HP Merc and this works for me.

John

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I see this posted alot...here is quick way to reassemble. Put your reference mark (.462-464) at 12:00 and key at 5:00(looking down on flywheel) and install bolts.

Pholla10

Cadet

Thank you guys so much, feels good to know I'm not the only one haha. I will try the above methods tommorow.

Pholla10

Cadet

Ok tried your guys methods finally after all this damn rain! I think I am good to go now. Motor sounds alot better and hopefully I can get on the water soon.

Mrbap

Cadet

Thank you guys so much, feels good to know I'm not the only one haha. I will try the above methods tommorow.
Newbie boater Question: Im in the same situation as the OP. The flywheel is “keyed” but does that mean the timing still need to be reset? MANY THANKS! I have a ’02 Mercury 40hp efi bigfoot.