1993 Mercury 9.9 hp Electric Choke Solenoid

thebubba

Cadet
I have a new to me 1993 Mercury 9.9 hp 2 stroke, electric start, remote controlled engine. I am trying to understand the electric choke function on this particular motor. It has a manual choke on the front of the motor that you pull out which depresses a blue primer button which squirts a little fuel directly into the engine to cold start. It also has an electric choke solenoid, but this solenoid does not seem to function the same way. It is mounted on the top of the carburetor and pushes against the carb body covering a small port at the top of the carb. Does this make any sense to anyone? I am not convinced this actually does anything. Just to confirm, when I push in the key I can see and hear the choke solenoid push against this small port. I have attached a picture of the carb for your viewing pleasure. Any help you can provide is appreciated. The service manual doesn't tell me anything about how this functions, it only has one picture and very brief explanation of how to mount it. Mine looks like the service manual.Carb 1.jpg

Attachments

• Carb2.jpg
    Carb2.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 1

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1993 Mercury 9.9 hp Electric Choke Solenoid

What is your engine s/n and what manual are you using? Is it the Merc manual?

Gerry

thebubba

Cadet

S/N OD182962

I am using the model specific service and operators manuals from Mercury. I just want to understand how this electric choke actually chokes the motor. I thought it was installed wrong, but I think it is correct.

thebubba

Cadet

Salt Lake City-20140326-02080.jpg
Here is one more picture of the choke solenoid

thebubba

Cadet

I received an answer for this from another source. Apparently the electric start and manual use two different systems to cold start the engine. The manual start uses the manual lever that pushes the blue primer button in. The electric start solenoid uses a rubber push solenoid to block off a port linked to the idle circuit causing it to pull straight fuel from the bowl. So if you are ever confused, like I was about these two different systems, there you go.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Its known as a enricher not a choke.

Thats correct, when your cranking the motor and hit the enricher, the tip closes off the hole on side and causes a bit of vacuum and that pulls the fuel.

Balatoni

Recruit
Hi Admirals and cadets
I see you discussed years ago about a similar engine , as I have.
Could somebody tell me , how the manual choke affects the carb and the RPM ? I see only , that it pushes ones the small pump , but these black plastic parts are not connected further to the carb.
1660580679777.png

My next question would be, what is the function of the red marked small rod? 1660580597468.pngI see it moves if I pull the gas.

I have some problems with the engine and I try to understand it first.

Any help appreciated