75 hp tracker by mercury 1999 help

turkey slayer

Recruit
A list of what has happened since August of last year. Stator and voltage regulator replaced, stator went out again had it replaced, took boat out in Jan after getting it back the key shatters under fly wheel, I take it back to shop they replace it and put motor back in time. I get home put my ears on and try to crank motor it will not start doesn't even try to just spins over? I wait an hour and half try it again and it eventually starts, it acted as if it was flooded out. I started the motor for the next two days without any problems. I go to the lake last week put it in the water and it does the same thing just spins over. I tryed it several more times while trolling around just spins over. The next day I go out put the ears on it and it starts right up, it has started up everytime the last two days. It seems like when I haul it is when it doesn't start? compression is good, put new plugs new fuel filter plus all the above from the so called boat mechanic shop. I think this is a fuel issue but I am not a mechanic any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 75 hp tracker by mercury 1999 help

When you say that it just spins over when you try to start, are you saying that the starter itself only spins or is the starter cranking the engine?

What is the s/n of the engine?

Gerry

turkey slayer

Recruit

motor turns over. twice now I sat with the key on turning it over for 30 sec or so and it started to chug at a low rpm then finally took off acted as if it was flooded out. I started it up three times yesterday without any trouble? Sometimes it has a lot of blue smoke sometimes not?

The s/n is og 923472 it is a 1999

Thanks for the reply

Last edited:

carholme

Rear Admiral

That s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - ( 75 H.P. (1999 ))
Serial No: 0G923472 Model No: 1075412VN

Parts and Service Bulletin list for s/n 0G923472:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/search_results.html?string=0G923472

When you pump the bulb does it firm up and remain so prior to attempting a start. Your engine does not have the upgraded primer bulb according to FUEL STARVATION in the Service Bulletin list. Can you verify if it does or does not?

The service manual you require is P/N: 90-830234. If you do not have this manual, see my message to you in Notifications at the top of this page.

Gerry

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Continuous cranking of 30 seconds will damage the starter !

turkey slayer

Recruit

thanks for the help and thanks for the notification. I just took the boat to the lake left it on the trailer backed it down into the water it started right up no issue's. I then took it for a ride, stopped and started several times while I was on the lake. The motor performed excellent. I have no idea what is happening but it is very hard to figure it out when it is running good? I appreciate everyones input on this, I am guess I am at the wait and see what happens mode?
Thanks again for the manuel that is a must have.