Please Help! 1986 60hp Mercury No Spark!

Pholla10

Cadet
So I have a 1986 60hp that has no spark. The frustrating part is that I just replaced the trigger and stator expecting the problem to be resolved. New wires and plugs, also checked the coils but no problem there. I am wondering what else the problem could be? I have a multimeter but I am having a hard time finding detailed, newb-friendly, instructions on testing various components. The fishing season is quickly approaching here in northern Maryland and I need to fix this bad boy. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Please Help! 1986 60hp Mercury No Spark!

About the only thing left is the CDI box and coils.

Pholla10

Cadet

Thanks for your response, and you were correct. After I posted this question I decided to replace the switchbox (I thankfully have a parts motor). Hooked everything back up and got her started right up after a couple turns of the key. I noticed however that the motor was not peeing. Is this something normal for a motor that has been sitting? Do I need to let it run long enough to build up pressure? I assumed that there is something wrong with the water pump so i did not let it run for very long. Thanks

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

It can be that the thermostat just hadn't opened depends on how long it ran. If its sat awhile I would put in a new water pump, if its old it can throw off parts that will block the internal passages then your really hosed. Its cheep insurance but it can also be the thermostat or a lot dont pea on muffs.

Last edited:

carholme

Rear Admiral

What is your engine s/n? Are you sure you have a thermostat on that engine?

Gerry

Pholla10

Cadet

Thanks again for the responses. My serial is A140948, not sure if it has thermostat. I agree about the cheap insurance thing, I would like to make this motor as reliable as possible so why not replace it. I will be searching locally for a new pump today and hopefully installing this weekend. I will post back with results.

Pholla10

Cadet

Thanks Gerry for the info. I replaced the impeller today, still not seeing a steady stream of water coming out of motor. The impeller I replaced had no blades on it so I was sure it was going to fix my problem. I'm not even exactly sure where the "pee hole" is. All that happens when I run the motor, in trash can and muffs, is an uneven spray that comes out of two rectangle exhaust port looking things. Is this normal? Or is there more I need to fix?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Then the old pump blades may be up inside of the motor.

Mi duckdown

Commander

In pickup tube or inside the motor. need to find ALL the vanes.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

You can drop the LU again and use a air compressor to blow any vain parts in the motor out of the motor. The use of weed eater string pushed in the tell tail hose will usually clear blockages it. You can place the water hose on the water tube with a hose clamp and run water pressure through the motor to help clear blockages and confirm that water will flow before replacing the LU back on the motor. Any and All blockages need to be cleared or major damage can be done. You can replace/check the thermostat located on the port side in the water jacket for the exhaust, as it might be giving trouble also. JMO
Oldman570

Last edited:

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Straighten out a coat hanger and probe up thru the water transfer tube while back feeding water into the P tube. Hopefully you may dislodge andy vanes jambed up there.

Count the blades you recover. You must find them all.

Worst case you may have to remove the exhaust side cover, blades will jamb the water feed hole here.

Worst worst case you may have to lift the motor off the lower exhaust plate and find the remaining blades laying there.

They must be found and removed or even one remaining inside will restrict water flow and overheat a section of the motor causing damage. Possibly without causing head temp high enough to trigger the alarm.

Pholla10

Cadet

Thanks everybody for your responses. I was able to finally get some work done after all this rain we have been having! The water tube was clogged, I swapped it out with the one on my parts motor and now she is peeing just fine.