Mercury Classic 50 Back-to-life

anjp

Recruit
Hi folks -- my first post here as I'm new to the forums.

I just received an old Grew 14' with a Mercury Classic 50 outboard on the back from my dad. He's getting older and won't be boating much anymore. The motor itself is early 1980s with everything below the mounting bracket replaced in the 1990s. For the last 6 or 7 years, it's probably only been run once every couple years for a quick up-and-down the lake. I know he drains the fuel after every season and changes the lower oil prior to every season, but that's probably the only maintenance it's ever had.

It will not idle well and stalls often. Even starting is difficult as I need to give it throttle quickly to prevent the stall. So here are my questions:

1- Can anyone help me in tracking down a manual? I saw a couple threads referencing an owner's manual archive on this site but I can't seem to find it.

2- Can you give me a list of 'tune-up' activities I should do to try and get her running well again?

3- I'm assuming I will need to clean the carbs in my tune-up. Can I do that with an additive in a 2 stroke engine? Or will that not work because of the added oil in the fuel...

Thanks in advance for your advice.
-anjp

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercury Classic 50 Back-to-life

A bit of sea foam added to the fuel may clean it out for you and it may clean out the carbs.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury Classic 50 Back-to-life

You haven't provided your engine s/n but if it is an early '80s, this will be your parts list:

45/50 H.P. - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

The service manual you require is P/N: 90-86135--5.

Mercury Mariner Outboards Service Manual Binder 45 50 60 70 4 CYL 3 CYL 90 86135 | eBay

In the interim, here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer manual. Download it soonest to your computer as the link is short lived.

MERCURY - MERCURY FOUR-CYLINDER MODELS (1969-1989).: Small Engine Repair Reference Center Home

Gerry