2004 Mercury 200 hp 3.0 hesitates at idle and WOT

vinnywho2013

Recruit
This is my first time posting on here, so if I'm not doing it right let me know!

I have a 2004 Merc 200hp 3.0 that was running great, but has recently started to hesitate while idling and WOT. If I start the motor first thing in the morning while it's cold, it takes me having to fast idle while choking the motor to get it to warm up. Otherwise it won't stay idling. Once the motor is half way warmed up it will idle, but still make hesitations. Sometimes it will still cut off while warmed up. This happens also during WOT. The motor totally shuts down, but picks back up while still in WOT. This doesn't happen during 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. It runs perfect during that speed. Doesn't make sense? :confused: I have a smartcraft gauge on the motor, but it only shows the motor warning symbol when this occurs. Everything else like the water pressure, temp, oil pressure, and voltage check out fine according to the readings from the smartcraft gauge.
I tried this-
I have an in-line fuel/water separator before the motor and of course one on the motor itself. I replaced both of these and the fuel lines thinking old lining from the gas line may have broke loose and may be blocking the path of the lining. When I looked in the separator on the motor itself it had so much lining from the old fuel line in it that it sounded like a tin can full of dimes! Thinking I solved the problem I brought it out to the lake. It still continued to do the same thing. Can someone tell me if I need to pull the fuel pump and check for debris, or what else could it be?? Any advice is appreciated!

serial # OT932746

Last edited: