1968-72 mercury 50hp questions

ski1559

Seaman Apprentice
So I may have the opportunity to buy a starcraft with a 50hp mercury. I am told it was made around the early 70's, I have not been to see it to get numbers to see when it was manuf. I'm not familiar with this older model or steering system. The pictures look like it is a cable system of some sort. Looking at the pictures ca you help me with how it operates or what i might do to upgrade the steering system if available.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1968-72 mercury 50hp questions

With the blue trim it has to be a 1972 or newer.--A modern single cable steering system should attach to that motor without any modification.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey ski - Check out some of the Starcraft restorations here - http://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-boats/starcraft-rebuilds-restorations-theyre-all-here-494143.html especially BlueFins resto. He has done some major metal work, which leads to the below;

One thing to look at on this tinny is the inside of the chine as I marked on the pic below. Those marked panels may be there because the chine is cracked. They don't look like the ones Starcraft used. This isn't a deal breaker, but it can influence it's value.

http://[URL=http://s1184.photobucket.com/user/sv29n/media/Cheap%20boats/SCmariner.jpg.html]
SCmariner.jpg
[/URL]

Now on the Merc - I have a '66 Merc 500 on mine with the cable/pulley steering. It pushes my 16 footer pretty good and the steering is fine. You can upgrade to a single cable system for about $150 and you would need to get a steering arm to finish the steering connection.

I would go look at her if I was looking for one of the less than 16' SCs.t us know how you make out.

ski1559

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for help. I have only used tillers or I/O's, so this steering system is new to me. He said the motor runs really well and he would take me out on the water for a test drive.
I already showed the boat to the guys in the Starcraft forum and bluefin noticed the same panels as you did. You both were thinking maybe some structural issues. I hope to get down there in the next week to check it out, take additional pictures and get a firm asking price.
Now that I think about it, I think he said the motor was a 1972. I would think that thing really gets up and goes. My other option is to use a 10hp 4 stroke that my dad has sitting in the garage.

ski

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How did I miss the posts over there? I'm with the Mariner crowd. A 50 would be a good sized motor, which is the max HP for this model if it's a 16 footer. Both fast enough and slow enough, a good all around motor.

I would put the benches back in as original. You would still have fishing room and family room.