200hp mercury "blackmax" oil injected

smc77

Recruit
Put new impeller and water pump in along with new water seperator and fuel bubble. I also replaced all feul lines from motor to separator. Now my problem is once I get her out on the water , the motor will not run full power and once I get to about 30-35mph it just shuts down(not bogs just shuts down on me.) Hard to restart (takes a good 10 tries) then the same issue arises. Ran great last season now this. Carb issue...? In the oast I had asmall Iissue with it not starting after 15 attemps and coukd barely get it into gear without bogging out on me.any solutions that I might be missing. Alot of people have said carbs need rebuilt? Great motor and I take good care of her..love this tower of power...still pushes 45-50...if that is a good mph for a 21ft v-20 welcraft..?

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 200hp mercury "blackmax" oil injected

So, does your outboard have a serial#, or a year? And when was the last time you rebuilt the fuel pump?

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

See these tips:

Attachments

• No-start-03.jpg
    No-start-03.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Rough-idle3.jpg
    Rough-idle3.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0

smc77

Recruit
Re: 1986 200hp mercury "blackmax" oil injected

Re: 1986 200hp mercury "blackmax" oil injected

Sorry about delay in responding...bilge rat jim it is a 1986 200hp blackmax . No I have not rebuilt the fuel pump. Just the impeller, water pump and gas line hoses. I mix my gas also...1qt oil to 6 gal of gas..sounds a little thick to me but the guy I bought from in 2009 always used that ratio so ive been using ever since.. I know it does pump so thats why j never rebuilt. Had some minor work on carbs done after first insident with not starting after having it run for awhile..will post ser.# tomorrow. .not at boat right now

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

I dont know what else is going on but you are using over double the oil you should be using. Even half a quart in 6 gallons is more than 50:1. I'd try cleaning or changing the plugs first . They cant be in good shape having run that much oil across them.

FWIW that's not a Tower Of Power.

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, I'd run 50:1 mix with good twc3 oil. (thats a pint to 6 gallons). You may also want to run a de-carboning treatment such as Yamahas' Ring Free +, you may have some carbon build up. I would also have a look at the fuel pump- this still sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

smc77

Recruit

Hanks ill try your suggestions. I thought that was to much oil myself . I really dont like not having a seperate oil tank. You just never know exactly what you have in the tank. My opinion! I was going to try and drain what I have in tank and start new. Ill use your mixing suggestions on this batch of gas and get back to you when I do so. Also I have notices when I change plugs I get oil in 1st plug and was told its running rich was the problem..be back soon

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Too much oil will shorten the life of the spark plug, spark will fail at upper throttle.

It may just be time for a new set of plugs.

You can easily check for air leaking into the fuel system causing it to simply run out of fuel at high RPM. Substitute a clear hose for a fuel hose between the fuel pump and carbs. Run the motor and see if any air bubbles are passing thru.

REMEMBER to remove that clear hose once finished testing as it is not rated nor recommended for fuel use, only very short term testing.