HELP! Mercury 4hp 4stroke CHOKE issue

buzzcatcher

Cadet
Hello there. I am somewhat new to this site and new to outbaord motors. I purchased a used 2003 4hp 4stroke mercury. Everything was running fine. When I brought it home, I did a tune up with new plugs, new oil, new impeller/waterpump, and rebuild carb with carb kit. Push pull and it fired right up. The only way for me to start the motor is if I pull the choke all the way out and start it. Once I push in the choke the engine dies. Regardless if the engine is warm or cold, it will never start if the choke is pushed in. The unit has a built-in internal gas tank and I did remove the cap for proper venting (air) when I would start the engine. Do you think that I installed the carb wrong? Any advice on what could be the problem? Please help a newb out. lol thank you very much in advance.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: HELP! Mercury 4hp 4stroke CHOKE issue

If the only way the engine will stay running is with the choke pulled, it sounds like it is not getting the fuel required for normal running. You ask about the carb installation. Why did you have it off and what was done to it? What was the original problem you were having?

What is the engine s/n and do you have the service manual for it?

Gerry

buzzcatcher

Cadet
Re: HELP! Mercury 4hp 4stroke CHOKE issue

If the only way the engine will stay running is with the choke pulled, it sounds like it is not getting the fuel required for normal running. You ask about the carb installation. Why did you have it off and what was done to it? What was the original problem you were having?

What is the engine s/n and do you have the service manual for it?

Gerry

Thanks Gerry for your response. The precious owner informed me that it needed a complete tune up. So I performed all the necessary things I listed above. I do have a manual and did follow it when I performed all maintenance. Do you think I should adjust the screw that is attached to the carburetor? I assume it's the needle valve? Do you think this will help with fuel flow? Thanks again for your response.