Mercury 80hp Blueline Series Choke Issue

ccampbell77

Recruit
Hi There,

I am having issues with a Mercury 80hp Blueline Series motor where I can get the motor to run but it stalls out when shifting into gear. I have to rev it high for it to shift and stay running. I believe the choke is staying on and that grease/oil is coming from the starter (see picture) and sludge out of the prop. I was told that the button choke on the throttle control box may be stuck on. Can anyone recommend how to troubleshoot/fix this type of issue?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 80hp Blueline Series Choke Issue

Use an assistant to look at the operation of the choke solenoid.----Might not hurt to do a compression test.----Check to make sure you have very strong spark on all cylinders.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Pull the plunger out of the choke solenoid and clean it and the bore it fits into. Somebody has greased it and that grease will pick up dirt and can cause the plunger to hang up in the solenoid. Get that sorted out first.

What is the s/n of your engine so we can get you the parts list.

Gerry

ccampbell77

Recruit

Thanks guys, based on your feedback, I realized that the choke rubber button (sits on top of the control box) had rotted away and was toggling the contacts which in turn was periodically gagging the motor. I presume that the grease coming out of the choke solenoid was due to it flooding.

Follow up question...Gerry, you mentioned to clean the plunger, how do I remove it? Do I undo the mounts on the top or does it just drop out the bottom if I unhook the arm.

The serial number is A8060408 (Australia)

BTW, thanks to the both of you for responding. I am living in Sydney, Australia, but originally from northern Ontario, Matachewan/Kirkland Lake area. Boating all year long...if I can get this motor to work properly :)

Thanks!
Chris

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

I believe that you can disconnect the connecting linkage to the carb and the plunger along with the linkage will drop out of the upper choke solenoid so you can clean everything. then replace it in the reverse manor. Do not oil or lube anything when putting it back together, and clean the inside of the upper real good. If you use the motor in salt water, you might have to clean the solenoid every so often as the salt water spray has a way of corroding and building up on metal. JMO
Oldman570

Last edited:

carholme

Rear Admiral

Chris;

See my PM to you re parts list.

Gerry

Last edited: