Trim gauge on 1989, 200hp mercury

Tork56

Cadet
I bought a 1989 Ranger 390V. Problem is, the tilt / trim gauge isn't moving with the motor. Checked all the fuses i could find and none are blown. Light works in the gauge, but it doesn't show any movement as the motor goes up or down. I ran a test light on the back of the gauge while raising it, but it didn't light up...unsure if it should or not...Can anyone give any suggestions on how to trouble shoot it? I have not done anything to the trim sensor, as far as how to test it to see if that is the problem. Is there a way to test it? An of course, can't get to much of the wiring.. suggestions?
Condor

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Trim gauge on 1989, 200hp mercury

I bought a 1989 Ranger 390V. Problem is, the tilt / trim gauge isn't moving with the motor. Checked all the fuses i could find and none are blown. Light works in the gauge, but it doesn't show any movement as the motor goes up or down. I ran a test light on the back of the gauge while raising it, but it didn't light up...unsure if it should or not...Can anyone give any suggestions on how to trouble shoot it? I have not done anything to the trim sensor, as far as how to test it to see if that is the problem. Is there a way to test it? An of course, can't get to much of the wiring.. suggestions?
Condor

Ayuh,.... Trim gauges measure resistance to Ground,...

So,... Ground out the sender wire, 'n the gauge should Peg,...

Dukedog

Captain

Is it plugged in at tha motor harness? Its a separate wire outside tha big plug like tha trim wires..

Last edited:

Tork56

Cadet

Is it plugged in at tha motor harness?

yes it is plugged in. A friend of mine stopped by and took a look at it. We pulled the Trim Senor off back on the motor. It had a tab on it,like the end of a large screwdriver end. It was sheared off flush with the sensor.. problem found... Now i need to find another sensor.. thanks you guys for your help, i will be back to the forum with another problem i would like to solve..beens your here, i'll throw it at you, then i will post a new thread on it soon. As you know, it is a 1989 Ranger 390V. It has dual gas tanks in it, under the bench seat. One of the gas tanks, is not registering anything in it, but i know it has half a tank in it. I'm hearing the only way to fix it is, remove the boat in half.. splitting it length ways and lifting the top of the bottom. Surely, Ranger wouldn't of built something like this...
Condor

Bondo

Staff member

yes it is plugged in. A friend of mine stopped by and took a look at it. We pulled the Trim Senor off back on the motor. It had a tab on it,like the end of a large screwdriver end. It was sheared off flush with the sensor.. problem found... Now i need to find another sensor.. thanks you guys for your help, i will be back to the forum with another problem i would like to solve..beens your here, i'll throw it at you, then i will post a new thread on it soon. As you know, it is a 1989 Ranger 390V. It has dual gas tanks in it, under the bench seat. One of the gas tanks, is not registering anything in it, but i know it has half a tank in it. I'm hearing the only way to fix it is, remove the boat in half.. splitting it length ways and lifting the top of the bottom. Surely, Ranger wouldn't of built something like this...
Condor

Ayuh,.... If it don't already have an access hatch, you can figure out where the plumbin' hook ups, 'n sender are, then ya cut holes, 'n install hatches,...

The fuel gauge works like the trim gauge, it measures resistance to ground,...

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Tork56 see you PM's at the top of the page.
Oldman570