1985 Mariner, 60HP, 3cyl ignition parts question

speckman6408

Seaman Apprentice
I have the above outboard with a model #A110868 and S/N #7060525 and I have some questions
concerning parts for the motor. My stator # 398-5704A4 is different from the mercury number which
is 398-5704A7. Which is correct and do I need to buy a new stator? What is the difference in the A7
and the A4? The same is true with my trigger assembly #96454 and the catalog #96455A8. The same
is true of my switch box assembly #18-5775 and the catalog #7778A12. The same is true of my
ignition coil assembly #73218 and the catalog #832757A4. Which of these parts do I need to replace
or will the ones on my motor work? Thanks for your help!

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1985 Mariner, 60HP, 3cyl ignition parts question

Your s/n comes up as:

MARINER - ( 60 H.P. (1985 ))
Serial No: 0A110868 Model No: 7060525

Parts and Service Bulletin List for s/n 0A110868:

Search Results - Crowley Marine

The stator and trigger numbers are the same except that the A followed by a number are just minor changes or improvements over the original design.

For the switchbox numbers, they are just equivalents, 7778A12 being the original p/n and 18-5775 being the Sierra p/n which is an aftermarket product.

For the ignition coil, 832757A4 is the coil kit number while 73218 is just the coil cover p/n.

Is your engine running OK now? if so, there is certainly no reason to change these parts.

Gerry

speckman6408

Seaman Apprentice

Admiral Gerry: Thanks so much for your help! Sorry I have not gotten back to you. My motor was running fine and all at once
it quit. I have a manual for it and I checked the resistance from the stator to the switch box and it was non existent. So I took
the flywheel off and the stator and when I turned the stator upside down I found that the 2 yellow wires were frayed coming out
of the stator and I see no way of repairing them. So I looked on Bro. Bay and found one with the same part number as the one
on my motor but the only problem is: my stator has a green wire(I think that is the color)snipped off just as the cluster of wires
comes out of the stator and the 1 on the bay has a yellow wire snipped off where the cluster of wires come out of the stator. So
I need to know if his stator will work on mine and if so a little(probably alot)help with the wiring would be greatly appreciated.
For what its worth to anyone--I made me a flywheel puller and it worked fine. I took a piece of 3/8" x 4" x 6" plate steel and
drilled 4 holes 3/8" in diameter exactly 2 and 1/8" apart and drilled a 1/2" hole in the center of the piece of plate and then welded
a 1/2" nut to the top of the plate over the 1/2" hole and threaded a 1/2" x 4" bolt thru the nut and got me 4 bolts 2" long and
5/16" in diameter with fine threads and screwed them into 4 of the holes in the hub and I made about a turn and a half on the
1/2" bolt and the hub popped right off.

carholme

Rear Admiral

What service manual are you using?

Here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer manual with a wiring diagram, Download it soonest to your computer as the link is short lived.

MARINER - MARINER 50, 60 AND 70 HP (3 CYL.).: Small Engine Repair Reference Center Home

What is the p/n of the stator you got off ebay?

Here is a link to a flywheel puller which prevents any stripping of the bolt holes in the flywheel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Mar...005&prg=9141&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=371014339160&rt=nc

Gerry

Last edited:

speckman6408

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again for your help! I am using the original Mariner/Mercury Outboards Service Manual which
was published by Brunswick Corporation in 1987. The part # for the stator on ebay is 398-5704A
which is the same as the number on my stator. But 1 of the yellow wires on the ebay stator has
been snipped off where the cluster of wires come out of the stator and 1 of the wires coming out of
my stator(the 1 on my motor)has been snipped off and the color of the wire appears to be green.
So I am trying to ascertain why a different color of wire has been snipped off on the same numbered
part. I think I will try to get the plastic covering off my stator around the area of the cluster of wires
and see if maybe my wire is just covered with motor film and I cannot tell what the color is. Thanks
for the download-I will look at it more carefully, especially the schematic of the wires from the stator.
As for as the flywheel puller--it cost $30 and the one I made cost less then $5. I am for going the
cheapest way possible--living off Social Security means living "tight". Thanks again for all your help
and any other help will be appreciated. The speckman, Arthur