Throttle cable butterflies not open

Mader12345

Cadet
I have a 125 hp mercury outboard. Year 2000. Serial 0t088785.

I just did link and sync per the service manual for this engine, including setting the stop screw so that the butterflies in the carbs open completely at full throttle. I did this procedure with the throttle cable not attached to the engine. When I attached the throttle cable and advance the throttle at the control box the throttle cable does not "travel" enough to allow the carbs to open up completely. It needs another half in of movement or so.

Both the throttle cable and the control box were replaced with aftermarket (teleflex I believe) a couple of years ago. I've never really gotten wot out of the this engine.

There is no adjustment at the control box to increase cable travel as far as I can tell. And the adjustment to the spinning plastic nut on the engine side does not do anything to increase travel.

At a loss.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Throttle cable butterflies not open

Whatever it is you are doing, you arent doing it right. How are you setting the throttle plates so they are wide open at WOT without having the throttle control hooked up? That makes no sense. You have adjusting, with the throttle cable hooked up, left to do.

Mader12345

Cadet

I hope I am doing something wrong. The manual says (after synching idle stop to ensure shutters are close at idle) "hold throttle arm against full throttle stop. Adjust full throttle stop screw so that shutters are fully open." Then back off a 0.015 inch so shudders don't act as the stop". If I do that procedure with the throttle cable attached and the control box at wot then the shutters don't quite go wide open. The stop still has a 1/4 - 1/2 inch to travel.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Right off hand i would think the cable is way out of adjustment.
Is the cable set to the neutral position on the controller and on the motor linkage.

Mader12345

Cadet

Right off hand i would think the cable is way out of adjustment.
Is the cable set to the neutral position on the controller and on the motor linkage.

Yes neutral in both places. The pic above was before I started anything.