1970 Mercury 7.5 need help putting back together!!!!

Justintyme8303

Recruit
Ok so I bought this motor 2 yrs ago and found out he wires on the stator were shot beyond repair. I put it aside until last month when I came across some used parts on Ebay.

I started to put it all back together but can figure out where the plastic holder goes. When I put it under the stator assembly and tighten the 4 screws I can move the throttle unless I unloosen the 4 screws that hold the stator down but that just seems funny because the lock washers are not even locked.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMAG0670.jpg
    IMAG0670.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0671.jpg
    IMAG0671.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0669.jpg
    IMAG0669.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1970 Mercury 7.5 need help putting back together!!!!

That cover plate should screw down over the points and cover them up from and dirt and dust that might come off the flywheel as it turns. If locks up the stator plate when screwed down, then you need to check the height of the stator plate against the height of the CDI coil plate. If this is causing a bind, then you may have to make a ring gasket that will spacer the cover up some, but still not let the cover hit the flywheel. A piece of a thin cardboard box should work for making the gasket. JMO
Oldman570

Last edited:

Justintyme8303

Recruit
Re: 1970 Mercury 7.5 need help putting back together!!!!

The gray cover does not screw down to the points housing there are no extra wholes for that and I have no extra screws for that. It just seems to sit on top the points and the stator puts pressure on it but in my case too much pressure. All the parts are the same as the old ones I just took off. I thought maybe stacking order was off but seems there is only one way to make it all fit.

Attachments

• IMAG0672.jpg
    IMAG0672.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: