1989 Mercury 115hp won't start

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Mercury 115hp won't start

Any history on the motor ?------------When did it run last?----Did this problem show up suddenly ?---New to you motor ?---Are you pushing the key in while cranking it over ?

clctalking

Cadet

This is a new motor to us. Yes, we're pushing in the kry when starting.

Last edited:

clctalking

Cadet

More info...
got it to turnover when I sprayed the plugs. I've got fuel to the carb, but not to the plugs.

now what?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The motor should have a fuel enrichment valve that when the Ing. key is pushed in, it pulls a solenoid valve that lets raw fuel be put into the crank case so the motor will start. It might be that the solenoid is bad or that the wire from the Ing.Switch to the solenoid is bad. Have some one, with the safety kill switch pulled, push in on the switch and see if the enrichment valve is working. JMO
Oldman570

clctalking

Cadet

I'm getting fuel to the carbs. I can flood the carbs, but not getting it to the plugs.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

A check of the compression of the motor, and all the rubber hoses that connect to the crankcase should be done. If there is a question about if the hose might be bad (Cracked), then it should be replaced. Checking the one way crankcase bleeder valves should be done also. This is if the enrichment valve is working as it should. JMO
Oldman570

Last edited: