2001 mercury 40hp misfiring and "ticking"

m1keyl1key

Recruit
This is a 2001 Mercury 40HP ELPTO
I have cleaned the carbs 4+ times, changed all of the fuel lines, new gas with stabilizer, new oil, cleaned the spark plugs etc. Im having a hard time starting the motor, but when I do then motor makes a ticking noise when I accelerate. I put a clear line in as found the source. It seems that the check valve is shooting a stream of gas into the combustion chamber when i accelerate, and it also misfires as you can tell in the video. Not too familiar with outboards, just seeing if anyone has some better insight of what direction i should go in order to resolve this.Cheers

mercury 40hp making unknown "tick" - YouTube

Last edited:

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Please help me ! Mercury 40hp can't seem to fix

You need to remove the whale tail and get the motor down into the barrel farther. The water level needs to be above the cavitation plate about 4 to 6 inches when running the motor. The way it is in the video the motor has no backpressure on the exhaust ports as it should,. The motor is running at a very fast idle because of this, and not as it will when out on the water. When running a motor on muffs, or like the setup you used, you NEVER rev the motor over 1500RPM as there is a good possibility that damage to the motor can be done. This may be why you are getting the ticking noise. JMO
Oldman570

HarborRat

Seaman

The "tick" when you accelerate sounds like a 'lean sneeze' to me, but they are usually accompanied by a quick shake of the motor, hard to tell from the audio. That thing sure does **** a lot.....

tyst67

Cadet

Broken reeds!!!! Do not start your motor again until you figure out if you have metal reeds or carbon! I own the same motor and I break reeds alot! I will help you through every step of the way! Email me at tyst67@hotmail.com or text me at 5063650927 . I can make these motors go fast and I have alot of parts and new reeds here in the box! I f the reeds are metal and they are broken you will junk a piston or cylinder wall