2006 Mercury Bigfoot 60hp won't crank

Bounty Lane

Cadet
A couple of months ago I bought a Suntracker pontoon boat with a 2006 Mercury Bigfoot 60 hp. The previous owner said that it didn?t run well and that he thought it was bad gas. It cranked easily when he showed it to me, but it would not accelerate well. It just didn?t seem to have enough power. I suspected that it might need new spark plugs, some fuel treatment and possibly a new fuel filter. After I bought it, I cranked it and let it run for a few minutes. I was going to take it out, but decided to wait until the next day. However the next day it would not crank. About 2 weeks later I replaced the spark plugs and added Sea Foam to the gas tank. The engine cranked right away and I let it run for a few minutes but it was too late in the day to take it out. The next day it would not crank. The following weekend I replaced the larger fuel filter near the gas tank and inspected the small engine fuel filter. It would not crank. I began to pump out some of the gas, thinking it was old or bad gas. I removed a few gallons and then gave it a try. It cranked right away and I let it run for several minutes. Then I noticed water on the deck and found that it was coming from the water pressure hose. I guess the previous owner had disconnected it from the gauge on the dashboard and didn?t put it back. On the previous cranks, I had not let it run long enough to create such a noticeable leak. I had to turn the engine off to put the hose back on the gauge and the engine would not crank again. I have not been able to crank it since. I have removed all the gas and replaced with new gas, inspected all the fuses, made sure the battery was charged, and inspected the fuel hose that runs from the larger filter to the engine, but it still won?t crank. I am totally out of ideas. If anyone gave give me any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2006 Mercury Bigfoot 60hp won't crank

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... To Crank over means the starter is spinnin' the motor over,....

So,... Does it turn over on the starter, aka; crank over, 'n Not Start,..??

If so, check the spark plugs for Spark,...
Are the spark plugs wet with gas,..??
What color are the spark plugs,..?? Black,..?? White,..?? Clean,..?? Dirty,..??

Check to see if the carb is passin' gas,...

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Yes-------" it would not crank "---What does that mean exactly here.-----------Are you pushing the key in when the STARTER is cranking to start this motor.

Bounty Lane

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... To Crank over means the starter is spinnin' the motor over,....

So,... Does it turn over on the starter, aka; crank over, 'n Not Start,..??

If so, check the spark plugs for Spark,...
Are the spark plugs wet with gas,..??
What color are the spark plugs,..?? Black,..?? White,..?? Clean,..?? Dirty,..??

Check to see if the carb is passin' gas,...

Thanks for the advice. I am new to boating. The starter is spinning, so I guess that means it is cranking. I'm not sure what you mean by "turn over" but the motor does seem to start for a second then stop. I have not inspected the spark plugs since I installed new ones. I'll check them to see if they are wet. What's the best way to check them for spark? I don't believe I have a carborator. I looked for one and didn't see one, so I think it has a fuel injector. I suspect the fuel pump may be the problem as well. Do you know anything about fuel pumps? Thanks again for the tips!

Bounty Lane

Cadet

Yes-------" it would not crank "---What does that mean exactly here.-----------Are you pushing the key in when the STARTER is cranking to start this motor.

Yes, sorry. I was not using the word crank correctly. The starter works fine and cranks the motor. It just won't start.

carholme

Rear Admiral

What is the s/n of your engine?

Gerry

Bounty Lane

Cadet

1B250125

Going on the advice of others, my next steps are to check the spark plugs to see if they are getting fuel. Any other advice you have would be great.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - ( 60EFI H.P. (2006 ))
Serial No: 1B250125 Model No: 1A60452FN

Parts and Service Bulletin list for s/n 1B250125:

Search Results - Crowley Marine

The service manual you require for your engine is P/N: 90-883065. If you do not have this manual, see my message to you in Notifications at the top of the page.

Gerry

Bounty Lane

Cadet

I would like to know how to determine if I have a bad fuel pump. Near the fuel pump, there is a small fuel filter with a sight bowl. I've notice that this sight bowl almost goes empty when I am cranking the motor and takes a while to fill back up. Should this be happening or should it stay filled?