Mariner 2 ST 90 HP 1998 difficult to start

kerby0825

Cadet
HI everyone,

I got this 1998 Mariner 2 strokes 90HP outboard engine. Every time I go the water I do the following:

1- pump the gas in
2- push the choke for 10 sec or more
3- lift up the lever
4- turn the key

The engine doesn't start straight away. It takes several times to start it. Once the engine is warm, it starts at the first time.

I play with the lever and the choke in different combinations or push the choke longer but the result is the same.

I used storage the boat with the engine vertically (to same some space). I am storing it now horizontal but I haven?t tried it once again.

Some guys have told me that is the normal behaviour of a 2 strokes engine. But I've seen other motors starting faster than mine (they are also 2 strokes).

Has anyone had this problem? How to fix it? Or is it like that.

Many thanks

Kerby

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mariner 2 ST 90 HP 1998 difficult to start

Verify that your electric primer is working.-----Key must be pushed in while cranking the motor over.---Pushing the key in when the motor is not cranking is a wasted effort !

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I have posted what I use to start my '02 90 several times. Archives should have it. I think it is the nature of the beast. Mine sits for long periods between outings and this aggravates the problem. Mine does as yours in that once you get fuel in the cylinders for the first startup of the day, it starts really fast the rest of the day and the next day first time and all if you run it on back to back days.

Pushing in the key puts fuel in the intake manifold behind the carbs by way of energizing the enrichment valve. The procedure I use and the one in the manual states that you "prime" the manifold aka turn the key to ON and push the key in for a few seconds before you roll it on over to START while still holding the key depressed. You run the starter for roughly 15 seconds and repeat the process if the engine doesn't light off. Once lit, if it stutters, push the key back in till it catches and release it.

Mark

racerone

Supreme Mariner

To start cold motor.----Pump up the primer bulb on hose.--It must go hard.----------Raise throttle only warm up lever.----Crank motor over while pushing in the key.----When motor falters push key in momentarily to give extra fuel.-----When motor is warmed up and you push the key in does the motor react in any way ?

kerby0825

Cadet

Thanks all,

I will keep your advises in mind once I get to the water again.

cheers

kerby