Mercury 150 Oil Pump and serial number question.

philipjames5k5

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So my boats tag is beat up but it appears the serial number is 1b331811, upon looking at 2-3 charts I cant really tell which motor is mine or the exact year. Any help on this would be extremely helpful. Second question. Ive got a 1990 3 cyl 90 hp mercury that has had the oil pump recirculated, and is now premixed. Could I just follow the same procedure to recirculate the 150's oil pump?

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercury 150 Oil Pump and serial number question.

Thats not a valid serial number.

Mercury sells a block off kit for under $20 that holds the pump gear bushing in place so you can remove all the oil injection gear..

Last edited:

gbrowne9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes loose the oil pump, that was one of the v6 main failure problems. the plastic crank gear would strip. pre mix.

Fun Times

Staff member

Do you have a 2 or 4 stroke?

Dukedog

Captain

Try 0B331811...............

philipjames5k5

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Possibly 0b331811, the first three digits on the serial ID tag are pretty worn, but that would make my boat a 1987 150 ELPTO, can anyone verify this? As for the oil pump, is there a way I could leave it on there and just recirculate the pump? Is there a step by step how to, or write up for the block off plate?

philipjames5k5

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is my deal, I would rather keep it on the motor for resale reasons, but do not want to rely on it. So if I could recirculate it, that would be nice.
ALSO: does anyone know where I can buy a new link that connects to the oil pump????

Dukedog

Captain

merc comes up as '88 150 2.0 motor. Model 1150412BD. You can do what ya ask but your still have "so called" prone ta fail parts still turnin' in tha motor......

Last edited:

philipjames5k5

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Fun Times!! I do not see the oil pump delete kit on the parts catalog. So is there a complete kit with a manual? Or a how to on here?

philipjames5k5

Petty Officer 3rd Class

DukeDog, What could fail and hurt my motor if I just recirculate the oil pump?

Fun Times

Staff member

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Everything that could fail if you don't. Most times and situations they work fine. Sometimes they stop working find and the plastic gear on the crank throws off shreds of plastic and it goes through the motor. Then the oil injection stops working. ...or... someone forgets to fill the oil tank and the warning alarm box stops working and they blame the oil injection. In any case the system has flaws. It doesnt work well at high RPM . It also carries a light oil charge during acceleration off a long idle .

The Mercury part number for the plastic block off plate is 43453 and the O-ring for that kit is 32509.

Mercury Mariner 43453T V6 Oil Block Off Kit O Ring Screws 10 41506 | eBay

Its $15

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain

DukeDog, What could fail and hurt my motor if I just recirculate the oil pump?

Tha pinion and composite gear on tha crank. Its tha main concern of most that can fail.

If you know tha motors history and it hasn't had any issues with tha oiler or any OVER HEAT problems then I wouldn't worry 'bout it. As long as tha oil lines are good. Tha rotation sensor is workin' in conjunction with tha rest of tha system it will probably be just fine. As far as turnin' tha thing up, 2.5 ProMaxes continually turn 'em up ta 6800 without any problems. There is absolutely nothin' wrong with tha oiler IF its been taken care of and motor not overheated. This, imo, only applies to tha "daily driver" production motor. Now if its a "stem winder" motor none of this applies. This seems ta be a lot bigger problem since tha internet has came along. If its as bad as most try ta make it Merc would not have kept tha same basic system for 20+ years. All that said I say this again. If you DON"T KNOW THA MOTORS HISTORY get rid of oiler...........jmo

Last edited:

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Mercury stopped using that crank driven system for a reason in their higher RPM motors about 15 years ago. The teeth strip off the crank gear. First motors they stopped using it on was the 225 pro max. See a connection?

I'm with Dukedog. Get rid of the oiler. It doesnt help resale value. If you want to keep it spend the $15 for the block off kit and put the rest in a box. Keep the box. Problem solved.

Dukedog

Captain

Mercury stopped using that crank driven system for a reason in their higher RPM motors about 15 years ago. The teeth strip off the crank gear. First motors they stopped using it on was the 225 pro max. See a connection?

Your "research" is a little off. ALL 2.5 PM's still had it till 2001 when PM went away and all tha fancy X, XS stuff started showin' up. Tha carb 2.5's up till 2005 still use it. It went away on most 2.5's when they went to tha down draft induction stuff........

philipjames5k5

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So I was reading the "how to" that FunTimes posted, and it said "Regarding the crank, I have heard that you should keep the original oil pump gear installed on the crankshaft to provide crankcase volume; otherwise the motor might go lean." Does the block off plate allow the original oil pump gear to stay installed???? Also, is this something I can do? I have average experience. I can clean carbs, change fluids and plugs, etc.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

The block off plate just holds the block bushing in place and seals the hole. If the crank gear isnt pushing against something it will last until the end of time. You do want to leave it. It takes 5 minutes with a 5/16 wrench to install the block off plate kit.