Need help on this 1954 Merc lower unit....

I have most of this 1954 Mercury Mark 20 apart. Now I am to the lower unit. I have removed the Prop shaft, impeller housing, and mainshaft bolt. I thought after removing the mainshaft bolt, the drive gear would come on out. Worked around it with a screwdriver but no luck. Am I just being impatient or is there something else I need to do to get the mainshaft gear to drop? Thank you. Jesse

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need help on this 1954 Merc lower unit....

If you can find one on the Iboats parts section of this site, an exploded view of the parts that make up the area you are working on can sometimes be real helpful in letting you know if there is something in particular you need to be looking for, like a hidden wedge or roll pin, or something like that. You may have already looked, or there may not be a parts explosion to be found on that old of a motor, but it's an idea.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Normally on those you put the driveshaft in a vice ( soft jaws ) and then a piece of wood accross the housing.-----A few good bumps with a rubber mallet and the driveshaft comes out.----Parts explosion is easy to find on ----mercruiserparts.com-------as well.

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yep, some GENTLE persuasion to pull the driveshaft out a bit will release the pinion. Waterpump cap must be removed to allow the shaft to pull out, pump housing coming with it. Light heat from a propane torch or heat gun on the gear housing in the pump area and below might help free things up if it's stubborn.

Thanks guys, that helped...I was just afraid to hit it too hard...once I put a 2 x 4 and 3lb hammer to it came right off...