1976 20hp mercury Throttle Stuck

rzpalm

Cadet
Hey all, this is my first post. I've searched around but not much luck with finding my problem. Anyways, I have a 1976 mercury 200 (20hp) It has electric and pull start and runs great. Out of no where the throttle has jammed up and won't move. I believe I have pinpointed the area, its at the very top under the flywheel. I can remove that linkage and all works as should. So I removed flywheel and can't seem to see whats causing the jam. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Zac

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1976 20hp mercury Throttle Stuck

Is the motor in neutral? Most motors of that year have a neutral lock that will not let the motor turn over if it is in gear. If the motor is a consul unit have you tried to see if it would start with shifting cable unhooked and the motor in neutral.
Oldman570

rzpalm

Cadet

Is the motor in neutral? Most motors of that year have a neutral lock that will not let the motor turn over if it is in gear. If the motor is a consul unit have you tried to see if it would start with shifting cable unhooked and the motor in neutral.
Oldman570

Its a tiller motor. The throttle won't move is what I'm saying. the motor cranks, idles and shifts into and out gear fine but the throttle is stuck so I can't rev it up.

rzpalm

Cadet

Its the piece right under the stator that is locked up. Can't figure out what has it locked up. Any suggestions?

rzpalm

Cadet

Sprayed some pb blaster and freed it up. So now how do I get the fly wheel lined back up right?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Turn the motor over with the top cylinder spark plug out, and using a small stiff wire thru the plug hole, till the piston is at the very top of the cylinder. Then put the flywheel on the motor with the timing mark as close to the mark on the casing of the motor. This will get you as close as to where the flywheel should mount. When removing the flywheel you need to remove the nu in the center of the flywheel and us a puller to get the flywheel off and not have the trouble happen again. JMO
Oldman570

rzpalm

Cadet

I never actually used a puller. I took out the 8 bolts that were on top and it just lifted off. Does that make a difference?

Last edited:

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

On some of the Mrec motors with that type of flywheel, it sure can make things worse as it can be put back on wrong and the timing mark will not be where it should. If it is removed as has been done, you should always mark the center hub and the outer hub so there is no guessing as just how it should go. A simple magic marker across them is fast to do. JMO
Oldman570

rzpalm

Cadet

Yeah I realize that now. But I'm not sure as to where the timing marks are supposed to be and where the throttle position should be set.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

This is where a manual that covers that motor comes into play. Anyone that is going to work or do maintaince a motor should buy a manual that has the info as how to, and when to, do things in sequence for everything to happen as it should. It is the first item marinas get when they get the new motors every year. Then they can send the best mechanics working for them to a yearly manufacture class for a few weeks so they can say that they employ manufacture certified techs. This is just one reason the cost of having a motor repaired or maintained at a dealer cost so much. The cost of a good manual is usually less than 25.00$. JMO
Oldman570

Last edited: