pee hole 35 hp mercury

I have a 35 hp mercury outboard, sn 0b394125; I am trying to determine how/when the water should come out of the pee hole. the original manual states that it will start coming out when you put the ears on. however, mine does not come on until it has run a couple of minutes. It does not have a thermostat, so wondering what is correct. impeller has been replaced. Sometime it actually starts steaming , then the pee hole will start working. as long as the pee hole works should I be concerned. It sometimes get hot enough that I cannot keep my hand on block. I think this is a 1990 or so engine.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: pee hole 35 hp mercury

As far as I am concerned the pee hole gives folks a false sense of security.-------If motor is getting hot then it needs water pump maintenance.----The book shows that the motor has a thermostat and poppit valve intalled when new.--Where those removed??----Impeller should be replaced regularly so you do not have to worry about a " pee hole " working.

Last edited:

jslu

Seaman

[QUOTE said:
silverstreaker;4506614]I have a 35 hp mercury outboard, sn 0b394125; I am trying to determine how/when the water should come out of the pee hole. the original manual states that it will start coming out when you put the ears on. however, mine does not come on until it has run a couple of minutes. It does not have a thermostat, so wondering what is correct. impeller has been replaced. Sometime it actually starts steaming , then the pee hole will start working. as long as the pee hole works should I be concerned. It sometimes get hot enough that I cannot keep my hand on block. I think this is a 1990 or so engine.[/
QUOTE]

Silverstreaker.

I have to disagree with racerone. Your serial identifies your motor as a 1989. I have a 35HP Merc of the same year and it DOES NOT have a thermostat. The thermostat was done away with in the early 1980's for this block configuration, probably a reliability issue for Merc.

I had a the same experience as you describe above with another 35 Merc motor of this configuration. It turned out to be pieces of an old impeller caught in the water passage at the exhaust plate and floating around. Taking the exhaust plate off is tricky because there is danger of snapping off the bolts. When all is normal with your motor, the pee stream should begin within a few seconds of startup whether on muffs or in a barrel and the water will be only lukewarm.

If you did not personally change the impeller, then I would drop the lower unit first and look for trouble there.

John

The engine block should never be too hot to the touch.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If you had a thermostat it probably would be around 143F as a lot of mercs use that value. 140F is the temp for a US domestic hot water heater you have in your home when the stat is in the N position. 140F is too hot to keep your hand in it continuously. Engines with OT sensors are set to about 195F. So there are your normal and abnormal limits. Get a candy thermometer and stick it in the pee stream if you want to know how hot it is. Without a stat is could be anything depending on ambient....like SWAG of 20 degrees above ambient. So on a summer's day, the lake water is 85F, the pee would be at roughly 100 or so F which would be hot but not too hot to touch.....if you were running for a period at WOT when taking the measurement.

Mark

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

Be sure to stick a copper wire in your pee hole to insure that the mud daubers have not clogged it. On my '77 Merc 500, there is a pipe plug in the water jacket near cylinder 2 or 3. If you remove that plug and start the motor, it will shoot water out.

I would be concerned if you're getting steam though. Mine won't pee for 20 seconds or so on the muffs or in the river, even when the impeller was new. The previous owner said it has been that way forever.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Be sure to stick a copper wire in your pee hole to insure that the mud daubers have not clogged it. On my '77 Merc 500, there is a pipe plug in the water jacket near cylinder 2 or 3. If you remove that plug and start the motor, it will shoot water out.

I would be concerned if you're getting steam though. Mine won't pee for 20 seconds or so on the muffs or in the river, even when the impeller was new. The previous owner said it has been that way forever.

+1 on the dobbers. Have had that problem on several engines. I hate it when they sneak in under the cowl through the air inlets and build their nests in the carb cover inlet. Geez, nothing like a good dose of dirt for engine reliability.

Mark

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

That's why God made bugs I believe, Just to PO the boater and make him suffer. Weed eater string works best for getting any bugs out of the tell tail.
JMO
Oldman570

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

Weed eater string works best for getting any bugs out of the tell tail.

Excellent suggestion, I'll do that from now on.