40 hp Mercury help and advice needed.

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1971 STARCRAFT 15 FT FIBERGLASS FIXER UPPER

I'm looking at the boat above. It's a 71 Starcraft with a 40 hp Mercury. From the decals, I'm guessing that the motor is around a 1978. I have a 66 starcraft (same body style) but mine has the wrong motor. Mine has a 1959 Evinrude Starflite 50 and the boat is only rated for 40hp plus the fact that the motor I have is a short shaft and the boat needs a long shaft.

I just called about this other boat and the owner knows almost nothing about it. It was abandoned on his property and hes' just trying to get rid of it. He said that the floors are soft and the electric cable to the motor has been cut. I can also see that the Prop is missing by the pictures. I think the motor is a 1978 or so Mercury 402 40 hp.

Is the mercury 402 a good motor worth putting money into? Are there any common problems to look for when I go see it? I don't have a compression guage so is there anything else I should check. And am I just making a big mistake by even considering buying this thing?

Please help... Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys...

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 40 hp Mercury help and advice needed.

If the boat and motor were abandoned then there is a good chance that both the boat and motor are not worth having. The older 40HP 402 motors are good only if they have been maintained and taken care of correctly, and this setup sound bad to me. If you want get a different motor for the boat you now have then it is better to find one that is running and that the seller is willing to put in the water and run it before giving up any of your hard earned $$$. JMO
Oldman570

G

I love how the owner knows nothing but knows soft floors on a boat. Tell him to pay you to haul away his trash. Be careful with craigslist. I got burned once on cl maybe twice if the ob i bought a month ago is not good. Will only find out in a month when it gets warm on the east coast

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

I have bought more junk motors on Craigs list where the owners knew nothing but when I got the motor on the boat dead holes or other major issues.. I will say it forced me to learn a ton about outboards , along with hanging out at the local marine shop and working side by side with the mechanics to where I have my own side business now so I guess good came out of bad...Take the advice of Weimed...there are tons of deals on Craigs list and enlist taking a "Deal" to the shop for a one our checkout..Well worth the hour labor charge not to be a piece of junk...Wished I had!!!!!