1977 Mercury 150 Tower of Power Start/Run issues

Nascaryan

Recruit
Hello,
I am having troubles with my Merc 150. I have consulted others about the problem, but I want to be sure said problem is occurring.
It starts and runs fine, for the first bit. After the engine warms up to operating temperature, it starts to sputter (as if it's running on 3 cylinders), and sometimes dies. If it does die, it is near impossible to get it restarted without letting it cool down. I have been told that this may be a switchbox issue, and have attempted (with my limited electrical knowledge) to diagnose said problem, but want to be sure it is the problem before spending the money on a component I may not need. There is limited spark when the engine is hot, but it returns to normal after cooling down. We have ruled out any fuel issues, as the pump is operating fine and there is plenty of gas flowing. Any advice / test procedures you guys can give me so I can possibly diagnose the problem for good?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 Mercury 150 Tower of Power Start/Run issues

Serial # is required.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A '77 Merc 150HP motor would be an inline six motor with distributor ignition. Is that what you have? if so, post a picture of the spark plugs, after she runs and dies. Pump the primer bulb when she is running and see if she continues to run. See if she is sparking from the plug wires to ground, when she is running.

Nascaryan

Recruit

Serial Number is 7093237. (The mercury website put a 0 in front of it when I searched it up in the parts catalog)
Pictures of the plugs after it stops running are unfortunately not available at the moment, as the engine is in winter storage and in sub zero temperatures. Can tell you however that the spark plugs were wet after the engine died (gasoline wise). From past experience, pumping the primer bulb did not keep the engine running, or start it in the first place after it was warm. Only time we tested the spark plugs (spark wise) was while trying to start it, and only managed to get a weak spark once, after multiple attempts (when engine was warm).
CAM00123 Smaller.jpg

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Check your battery voltage if it falls below 10V it will act up and if overcharging it can overheat switchbox. Also a coil can do this..