1967 merc 9.8 hp ignition conversion to electronic

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenner

Seaman Apprentice
does anyone know how, or is it worth it, to convert my magneto ignition over to electronic?
I think I have a bad coil, points look worn, but the motor has great compression and a solid lower unit.
I know I will have a hard time finding parts...has anyone had experience doing this? what would it cost etc.?
what do I need?
thanks for any advise....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1967 merc 9.8 hp ignition conversion to electronic

That magneto system is well built and cheaper to maintain if you do your own work.------Should be easy to find a coil.

Last edited:

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

It would be cheaper to repair the setup you have rather than trying to switch. You have to remember that the points and the wires to them are for ground and the stator makes the juice to fire the plugs and those wires go to the coils ,and not thru the points on your motor. When the points make they put ground to the coils and this makes the coil send spark to the plugs. The whole setup is easy to work on and if the motor dose not fire as it should then the best way to find the problem is to remove the point wires and using a ohm meter to one wire and one to the block while watching the flywheel marks check to see if the points are putting ground to the wire as they should. The wires where thy go under the flywheel will short across as can the nylon block where the lug terminal goes into for the points.
It is not what as what most people are use to working on like other motors. Once the points on that motor are set correctly, you should never touch them as they do not burn/pit as one thinks. In plain words the points are maker points and not braker points .JMO
Oldman570

River Boy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I thought Mercury didn't make a 9.8 till 1979.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Well they called it a 110 model and I have a few of them that were made in 1962 or so ----9.8 hp models.-----------The 67 does not appear to have the " phase maker " system on it , which is a good thing.

Last edited:

glenner

Seaman Apprentice

thank you all for replying...its unanimous..im keeping the same setup..
this is uncharted waters for me, I am capable of doing this, but never had experience with a points ignition before.
here is what I have done..i cleaned the points with a very fine garnet paper, and electronic cleaner...tested good with ohmmeter..
I gapped them to .020, I made sure the cam was writing side up and used the highest part of the cam lobe to set gap.
I did not (or should I have made sure piston was tdc)..?
I removed both plugs and used a meter on 200 kohms from inside of each plug boot to ground..
got a reading of 6.1 on one, and no reading on the other..
this tells me it could be a bad wire or coil..i want to remove these coils and test them independently but the laminated core is riveted on..
how do I remove and test these coils?, what should the readings be? I noticed clips on the coils..do they have to be bent straight?
and also how should I go about setting them up (timing) once I found out the problem?
is there a good step by step manual, website, that could help me?
you all have been great
thanks again

racerone

Supreme Mariner

???----Do you have spark now that will jump a gap of 1/4" ---------------Timing is done with the point gap.-------Points must be absolutely clean.

glenner

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the link river boy., I found it couple days ago and printed it off.
it helped a lot, but its to generic for what I need..need more step by step detail on removal an what the numbers should be.
thanks..
glenner

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Glenner, you made the statement --" parts will be hard to get " ----In fact if you know where and how to shop the parts for a 1967 --9.8 will not be hard to find.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Glenner; Check you PM's under notifications at top of the page.
Oldman570

glenner

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for all your help, how do I remove these coils?
the laminated core is riveted in place.
there are clips on the outside and inside of the center of the coil...
do I have to bend them?
does anyone know the proper procedure to remove and replace?
thanks again

glenner

Seaman Apprentice

I found coils by sierra..part # 18-5181, they cross reference them with merc part #802371a1. the coil is on the laminated core complete..
they claim they will work on many kinds of omc and merc outboards.
i can not find out which application the merc part number is for..does anyone know if this coil will work with my points and condenser motor?
thanks for your input, you have all been great

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Simple , the coil you need is 398-173 or 18-5178---------Lots of good used ones available in Ontario too.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Unless the coil is physically damaged (cracked, burned, etc.) it is very likely good. More likely, your issue lies with the condensers, dirty points or the kill circuit. New condensers and points are often done as a matter of course, and replace the kill wires if they show any cracking. The Phelon style magnetos are stout and work quite well when set up and maintained...

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

can do a search for Phelon information on the AOMCI site (.org). It sounds from your description that you might have a dirty or carroded plug connector at the failing plug wire. An old trick is to test in dim light or at night to check for addit. leakage at wires at some point.

Last edited:

glenner

Seaman Apprentice

thanks again one and all, I had continuity from plug wire to ground on one coil, none on the (which I believe is the bad coil)..I removed the suspect coil and wire , removed plug wire..was good. no continuity from plug wire connection on coil to either of the 2 wires coming out of coil.
this tells me a dead coil...am I correct?
also can those coils from sierra 18-5181 work? they are already mounted over laminated cores...after I grind off the rivets that hold the existing coils and core will the holes line up and just bolt into place? thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.