Mercury 15 2006 4stroke water in Lu

G

Hey all and thanks for your help in advance. I recently purchased an ob 2006 4 stroke 15hp. I opened the lu lower plug and some water came out including with black gear lube. I am wondering if the dude sold me it changed the lube before testing it and when he tested it for me i didnt uncrew the bottom cap. Everyone tells me the lube should be a creamy color but it was pure black. What do i do now and what do i need to fix it? Seals? Which ones?

Arkyhunter46

Cadet
Re: Mercury 15 2006 4stroke water in Lu

I would drain the oil and have the unit pressure tested for leaks. Could be nothing or could be seals. Only one way to find out. Guessing will only leave your wallet empty.

Capt Ken

Commander

Black oil means it had not been run with the water in it. Cream colored oil has water mixed with it. Black oil also means it hasn't been changed in a long time.

G

Black oil means it had not been run with the water in it. Cream colored oil has water mixed with it. Black oil also means it hasn't been changed in a long time.

So I am Confused how do I rule out the problems. I just drained it and filled with fresh gear lube. Should I run it in a buck?? and for how long

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I would do a test run before making any choices it may very well be that as it was being drained a bit of water drained out of the LU and why you have black oil and water i have had that happen several times over the years even if the motor has set a long time. I would guess its a very small amount.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Water seperates from the oil and sits at the bottom.------------Pressure test this unit to find the leak.-------On more than one occasion I have found one drain screw with 2 seal washers and none on the other one.

G

I would do a test run before making any choices it may very well be that as it was being drained a bit of water drained out of the LU and why you have black oil and water i have had that happen several times over the years even if the motor has set a long time. I would guess its a very small amount.

Yes, small amount of water dripped out. I did notice a lil bit of gear lube drip from the exhaust. Well i have to wait till spring to test under load. I will tank test it and post results tomorrow.

THANK YOU

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The exhaust cavity often holds a few drops of water and when your draining the LU oil it shakes things around and a bit of water will drop down into the pan. Black oil tells me its fine. But a pressure test will ease your mind.

G

The exhaust cavity often holds a few drops of water and when your draining the LU oil it shakes things around and a bit of water will drop down into the pan. Black oil tells me its fine. But a pressure test will ease your mind.

I can safely say my LU is jacked up. i put in fresh pennzoil lu oil last night. today i ran it in a bucket for 10 min and oil went from yellow to creamy!!WP_20140218_17_40_51_Pro (1).jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Before you jump to conclusions you need to let the motor sit for a couple of days.-You may be looking at tiny air bubbles in the oil.------Pressure testing is the only way to go.

G

Before you jump to conclusions you need to let the motor sit for a couple of days.-You may be looking at tiny air bubbles in the oil.------Pressure testing is the only way to go.

I go antsy and ordered a new seal kit

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you pressure test after installing the kit.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I ordered a mity vac kit for 50.00 thats what I use,

Boatdoc58

Seaman

Make sure you vacuum test it also. I have had units that passed pressure test, yet failed the vacuum test. Also, when I test them every so often I will turn the prop shaft and driveshaft (if the unit is off) just to make sure that there isn't one spot that causes a leak.

G

Make sure you vacuum test it also. I have had units that passed pressure test, yet failed the vacuum test. Also, when I test them every so often I will turn the prop shaft and driveshaft (if the unit is off) just to make sure that there isn't one spot that causes a leak.

thank you. I seen Hawk posted I will need a tool to remove the seal by the prop shaft side. is it mandatory? its like 50 bux

matt167

Captain

I noticed that the test kit is over 100 bucks. Is there a less expensive way?

bike pump from walmart and the tip from a gear lube pump. Pump to 15ish PSI. it should hold pressure

G

bike pump from walmart and the tip from a gear lube pump. Pump to 15ish PSI. it should hold pressure

do you cut tip off and attach a 12mm tip with a screw clamp?